1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car engine and constant power

1. Apr 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a cars engine produces constant power therefore the cars speed will increase at a constant acceleration.

is this true or false

2. Relevant equations
    Power=w/t
    work=fd
    so P=mad/t

3. The attempt at a solution

so if p is constant it appears a must be constant. Therefore the statement is true

When I logically think about this situation I think it is false. I imagine myself driving down the highway in my stang turning 2500 rpm at 100 mph. Assume I stay in the same gear. Unless I raise the revs by giving it more gas I will not accelerate. When raising the engine rpm my engine makes more power....so how can I accelerate if my engine maintains a constant rpm(same power output)?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2014 #2
    Your equations are correct and so is your logic. However, can you think of any additional forces which may act against the acceleration of the car?

4. Apr 1, 2014 #3
    Ah, wind resistance and friction between the road and tires...and then theres also the some power loss due to the weight of the drive train components.

5. Apr 1, 2014 #4
    Yeah. I think it's funny to think about a bike. The wheels are so thin, but that little surface area combined with the air stops you from going as fast as you want.

6. Apr 1, 2014 #5
    so just that little bit of resistance from the tires and the air hitting the body of the car prevents the car from accelerating,correct?

7. Apr 1, 2014 #6
    so the answer would be true?

8. Apr 1, 2014 #7
    Yes, so it's not that little really.

9. Apr 1, 2014 #8
    Well in real life the answer is false for a car. A rocket in deep space could accelerate indefinitely.

10. Apr 2, 2014 #9

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Whoa! I'm not convinced that you have demonstrated it to be true. All I see you having shown here is that
    the factor (ad/t) is constant. I think you are asked to determine whether or not a is constant---am I correct in believing that is what the problem is asking?

11. Apr 2, 2014 #10
    Yes that is what the problem is asking

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted