1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car engines

1. Apr 6, 2007 #1
    im wondering what reaction would likely occur
    2NO (g) → N2(g) + O2(g) or the reverse

2CO (g) + O2(g) → 2CO2 (g) or the reverse

well the first one would occur if it were the reverse because of the high temperatures in the engine, but im wondering about carbon monoxide, what do you guys think
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2007 #2
    wait a minute, All internal combustion engines depend on the exothermic chemical process of combustion
    so therefore these are more likely to occure the way i wrote them
  4. Apr 7, 2007 #3
    Calculate the change in the gibbs free energy for each reaction and the reverse from the thermodynamic data in the back of any general chemistry text. That will tell you which is going to more spontaneously occur.
  5. Apr 7, 2007 #4
    i did, and the ones i wrote are both spontaneous, but the reverse are endothermic
  6. Apr 8, 2007 #5
    Thermaldynamically, those reaction are spontaneous, but the time is so short that they can not convert completely. Reactions take time.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?