1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car & Gasoline

1. Dec 14, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How does the amount of work done on an automobile by its engine relate to the energy content of the gasoline ?

2. Relevant equations
    How does the amount of work done on an automobile by its engine relate to the energy content of the gasoline ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Through Kinetic Energy ??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I think they're asking for you to account for where the energy content of the gasoline end up going. What are the different kinds of energy that come about from burning the gas in the car's engine? What-all happens?

4. Dec 14, 2006 #3
    Heat.. nuclear.. electric ??

5. Dec 14, 2006 #4

berkeman

I dunno about the nuclear energy created (?), but the other two apply. What else? What do you use a car for?

6. Dec 14, 2006 #5
    To move, or for transportation ?

7. Dec 14, 2006 #6

berkeman

Yeah, so except for the nuclear thing, I think you have the three main things. Oh, but what are the two forms of energy that are involved in a car moving about? Well, unless you're talking about Kansas. :rolleyes:

8. Dec 14, 2006 #7
    Dude, berkeman, I totally didn't get the Kansas line till my roommate (history major, at that) explained it to me. Subtle humor in the homework forum... :sigh:

9. Dec 14, 2006 #8

berkeman

Glad you liked it. Hey, speaking of humor and history majors, could you do me a favor and check out this other homework thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=148052

I'm having a hard time helping ReoFonzo in that thread as well, and I'm pretty sure you and your roommate could bring in a different perspective. Remember that PF forum rules say that you can't provide direct answers -- you can only provide hints and advice on how to approach the problem.

Thanks if you have time to click on by. o:)

10. Dec 14, 2006 #9
    Oh, and ReoFonzo the French, you may or may not know this, but Kansas is flat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?