• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Car & Gasoline

• Thread starter ReoFonzo
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
How does the amount of work done on an automobile by its engine relate to the energy content of the gasoline ?

2. Homework Equations
How does the amount of work done on an automobile by its engine relate to the energy content of the gasoline ?

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Through Kinetic Energy ??

berkeman

Mentor
I think they're asking for you to account for where the energy content of the gasoline end up going. What are the different kinds of energy that come about from burning the gas in the car's engine? What-all happens?

Heat.. nuclear.. electric ??

berkeman

Mentor
Heat.. nuclear.. electric ??
I dunno about the nuclear energy created (?), but the other two apply. What else? What do you use a car for?

To move, or for transportation ?

berkeman

Mentor
To move, or for transportation ?
Yeah, so except for the nuclear thing, I think you have the three main things. Oh, but what are the two forms of energy that are involved in a car moving about? Well, unless you're talking about Kansas. :rolleyes:

Dude, berkeman, I totally didn't get the Kansas line till my roommate (history major, at that) explained it to me. Subtle humor in the homework forum... :sigh:

berkeman

Mentor
Dude, berkeman, I totally didn't get the Kansas line till my roommate (history major, at that) explained it to me. Subtle humor in the homework forum... :sigh:
Glad you liked it. Hey, speaking of humor and history majors, could you do me a favor and check out this other homework thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=148052

I'm having a hard time helping ReoFonzo in that thread as well, and I'm pretty sure you and your roommate could bring in a different perspective. Remember that PF forum rules say that you can't provide direct answers -- you can only provide hints and advice on how to approach the problem.

Thanks if you have time to click on by. o:)

Oh, and ReoFonzo the French, you may or may not know this, but Kansas is flat.