Examining Engine Work & Gasoline Energy

In summary, the amount of work done on an automobile by its engine relates to the energy content of the gasoline. The different kinds of energy that come about from burning the gas in the car's engine are heat, electric, and nuclear.
ReoFonzo

Homework Statement

How does the amount of work done on an automobile by its engine relate to the energy content of the gasoline ?

Homework Equations

How does the amount of work done on an automobile by its engine relate to the energy content of the gasoline ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Through Kinetic Energy ??

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they're asking for you to account for where the energy content of the gasoline end up going. What are the different kinds of energy that come about from burning the gas in the car's engine? What-all happens?

Heat.. nuclear.. electric ??

ReoFonzo said:
Heat.. nuclear.. electric ??

I don't know about the nuclear energy created (?), but the other two apply. What else? What do you use a car for?

To move, or for transportation ?

ReoFonzo said:
To move, or for transportation ?

Yeah, so except for the nuclear thing, I think you have the three main things. Oh, but what are the two forms of energy that are involved in a car moving about? Well, unless you're talking about Kansas. :rolleyes:

Dude, berkeman, I totally didn't get the Kansas line till my roommate (history major, at that) explained it to me. Subtle humor in the homework forum... :sigh:

mbrmbrg said:
Dude, berkeman, I totally didn't get the Kansas line till my roommate (history major, at that) explained it to me. Subtle humor in the homework forum... :sigh:

Glad you liked it. Hey, speaking of humor and history majors, could you do me a favor and check out this other homework thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=148052

I'm having a hard time helping ReoFonzo in that thread as well, and I'm pretty sure you and your roommate could bring in a different perspective. Remember that PF forum rules say that you can't provide direct answers -- you can only provide hints and advice on how to approach the problem.

Thanks if you have time to click on by. o:)

mbrmbrg said:

Oh, and ReoFonzo the French, you may or may not know this, but Kansas is flat.

1. How does an engine work?

Engines work by converting energy from fuel, typically gasoline, into motion. This is achieved through a series of small explosions in the cylinder, which push a piston and create rotational force that drives the vehicle.

2. What factors affect engine efficiency?

Several factors can affect engine efficiency, including the design of the engine, the quality of the fuel, and the maintenance of the engine. Other factors such as air intake, compression ratio, and ignition timing also play a role.

3. How does fuel type impact engine performance?

The type of fuel used can greatly impact engine performance. Gasoline is the most commonly used fuel for engines, but other types such as diesel, ethanol, and electric can also be used. Each fuel type has different properties that affect the efficiency, power, and emissions of the engine.

4. What is the difference between octane ratings?

Octane ratings are a measure of a fuel's ability to resist "knocking" or premature ignition in an engine. The higher the octane rating, the more resistant the fuel is to knocking. Higher octane fuel is typically used in higher performance engines.

5. How can I improve my engine's gas mileage?

There are several ways to improve your engine's gas mileage, including regular maintenance, driving at a steady speed, avoiding unnecessary idling, and using the recommended fuel type. Additionally, keeping tires properly inflated and avoiding excess weight in the vehicle can also improve gas mileage.