1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car heater to heat house?

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    car heater to heat house??

Hi everyone. So i had a brain wave and thought id put it out there for help or advice. I have just moved into a new house and thought id start looking into heating for the upcomming winter. I thought about buying a new 19 kilowatt wood burner to heat the living area of the house and to heat the downstairs bedrooms i thought about using a wetback on the wood burner to circulate hot water through a copper pipe to the bedrooms and to pump the hot water through a car heater in each room so the 12 volt fan would blow hot air into the rooms and thus work better than a normal hot water radiator...............So what do you think?/?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Re: car heater to heat house??

Welcome to PF, Hammo.
    There is one important thing that you didn't specify. Did you buy the house, or just rent it? That will determine the limits of what you may do.

4. Feb 6, 2012 #3

yes we now own the house so anything is possable?

5. Feb 6, 2012 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Not necessarily anything. That depends upon where you live. You also have to consider the bylaws of your particular area. Those can range from none to very strict.
    As for the plan itself, you seem to be making it more complicated than necessary. Why would you use a car heater, which relies upon the running of the engine to be functional, in a household system? That would bring in the whole problem of fuel supply and exhaust evacuation that is not normal in a home environment.
    If you were referring strictly to the air circulation problem, there is no advantage to a 12VDC fan over a 110VAC one unless you are running strictly upon battery and/or solar power. If you run it through a converter from the mains, you will be losing efficiency.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook