Solve Car Impulse Physics Problem 1: Acceleration, Distance & Speed

In summary, the conversation is discussing a car that is decreasing its speed linearly as it travels along a straight road. It starts at a speed of 50 m/s and will eventually approach a speed of zero after traveling 100 m. The question is asking for the distance the car will have traveled when its acceleration reaches -10m/s^2. The answer to this question is 60m, but the steps to get to this answer are not clear. The conversation ends with the person asking for help and clarification on their work so far.
madahmad1
1. A car moving along a straight road starts to decrease its speed linearly with distance travelled, such that its speed drops from 50 m/s to a value which would approach zero after 100 m. What distance will have been traveled when the car`s acceleration is -10m/s^2 /. Answer is 60m , but how can i do the steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi madahmad1! :smile:

You should tell us what have you tried, so that we know how to help you.

Is there any part of this question you don't understand?

ok, i got that time t=5 , by using dividing 50/10. Also, i got that the car accelerates at 12.5 m/s to cover 100m from at 50m/s to 0 m/s velocity. But i do not know what to do next? How can i get that the car covered a distance of 60 m during that time?

madahmad1 said:
<< berkeman has deleted the content of the e-mail that was quoted here. The issue has been dealt with. Thanks, tiny-tim. >>

erm … no! :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
so is my work correct? what should i do?

any help please?

any ideas? any hints? i cannot figure out how the answer comes out to be 60 m

1. What is car impulse in physics?

The car impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of a car over a period of time. It is calculated by multiplying the force exerted on the car by the time interval.

2. How is car impulse related to car accidents?

In car accidents, the car impulse is important because it determines the amount of force applied to the car and its occupants. A higher impulse means a greater force, which can lead to more serious injuries.

3. How is car impulse calculated?

The car impulse is calculated by multiplying the average force exerted on the car by the time interval during which the force was applied. It can also be calculated by integrating the force-time curve.

4. What factors can affect car impulse in a collision?

The factors that can affect car impulse in a collision include the speed and mass of the car, the duration of the impact, and the direction and magnitude of the force exerted on the car.

5. How can understanding car impulse help prevent car accidents?

By understanding car impulse, we can better design and engineer cars to withstand impacts and protect occupants in the event of a collision. It can also help us make informed decisions about driving behaviors and safety measures to reduce the likelihood of car accidents.