Car Jack Torque Calculation - 100kg

• Thread starter akueddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, when designing an electrical car jack, it is important to calculate the torque required to lift the load. This can be done by first determining the type of jack (hydraulic or jack-screw) and then choosing a pitch screw and gear ratio. After finding the zero-friction torque required, the friction term from lubrication can be added to determine the total required torque. It is also recommended to use an electric motor with a gearbox output.
akueddy
hi,

i am designing an electrical car jack, my question is before i choose the proper electric motor, how do i calculate the torque require to lift the load, let say 100kg.

Engineering news on Phys.org
First of all, is it hydraulic or jack-screw?

ops sorry, it is suppose to be a scissors jack.

Start off assuming zero friction in the screw mechanism, and decide what pitch screw you will use. You should probably stay with the typical screws found in normal scissor jacks to start. Then figure out the gear ratio that you get via the pitch of the screw and how that moves the scissors.

Once you've found the zero-friction torque required, go back and add in the friction term (assuming lubrication on the screw) to see how much that adds to the required torque. Your electric motor should probably also have a gearbox output, I would think.

1. What is car jack torque calculation and why is it important?

Car jack torque calculation is the process of determining the amount of force or torque needed to lift a 100kg car with a car jack. This calculation is important because it ensures that the car jack is strong enough to lift the weight of the car without causing any damage or accidents.

2. How is car jack torque calculation performed?

The car jack torque calculation is typically performed by first determining the weight of the car, which is 100kg in this case. Then, the torque required to lift this weight is calculated using the formula: Torque = Force x Distance. The distance in this case would be the height the car needs to be lifted, and the force would be the weight of the car. This calculation can also be performed using a car jack torque calculator or by consulting a professional mechanic.

3. What are the factors that affect car jack torque calculation?

The main factors that affect car jack torque calculation include the weight of the car, the height it needs to be lifted, the strength and design of the car jack, and the angle at which the car jack is placed. Additionally, external factors such as uneven surfaces or slippery conditions can also affect the torque required to lift the car.

4. Is it safe to use a car jack to lift a 100kg car?

Yes, it is safe to use a car jack to lift a 100kg car as long as the car jack is properly rated for the weight and the calculation is performed accurately. It is also important to follow proper safety precautions and guidelines while using a car jack, such as placing it on a flat and stable surface and using jack stands for added support.

5. Can I use the same car jack for different weight capacities?

No, it is not recommended to use the same car jack for different weight capacities. Each car jack is designed to lift a specific weight range and using it for weights outside of its capacity can result in accidents or damage to the jack. It is important to always use the appropriate car jack for the specific weight of the car being lifted.