How to Calculate Torque for Car Wheels

• Thread starter hun_nomin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Torque
In summary, to calculate the torque exerted by the car around the back wheels, you will need to assume the jack is at the very front of the car and consider the only force acting, focusing on one of its components. The pivot point for this problem is the rear wheels.
hun_nomin
A mechanic jacks up a car to an angle of 8 degress to change the front tires. The car is 3.05 m long and has a mass of 1130 kg. Its center of mass is located 1.12 m from the front end. The rear wheels are .4 m from the back end. Calculate the torque exerted by the car around the back weels.

The answer is 1.68 times 10 to the 4

But i can't figure out how to get the to the answer. I'm not sure where i can put the pivot point... the distance of the jack is unavailable. this problem is keeping me from doing any other problems...help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing to do is draw a picture of the problem.

You can determine the point of pivot by the thought experiment "What would happen if the jack were to sudently disapear? Namely, around what point in the car would the car "rotate"? Or even, what is the only point in the car that would remain still after the jack is removed?"

The mention of the jack is superfial; it is only to give a context to the problem.

Hints:

1) You'll have to assume that the jack is at the very front of the car.
2) There is only one force acting. However, you are interested in one of the components of that force. Which one should you be looking at?
3) The pivot point is the rear wheels.

What is the "Car Jack Torque problem"?

The "Car Jack Torque problem" refers to a common issue encountered when using a car jack to lift a vehicle. This occurs when the jack does not provide enough torque, or rotational force, to effectively lift the weight of the car.

What causes the "Car Jack Torque problem"?

There are several potential causes of the "Car Jack Torque problem". These include using a jack that is not rated for the weight of the car, placing the jack on an unstable or uneven surface, or using the jack incorrectly.

How can I avoid the "Car Jack Torque problem"?

To avoid the "Car Jack Torque problem", it is important to use a jack that is rated for the weight of your vehicle. It is also important to place the jack on a flat, stable surface and to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper usage.

What are the dangers of the "Car Jack Torque problem"?

The "Car Jack Torque problem" can be dangerous as it can cause the vehicle to fall unexpectedly, potentially causing injury or damage to the car. It is important to always take proper precautions when using a car jack.

How can the "Car Jack Torque problem" be fixed?

If you encounter the "Car Jack Torque problem", it is important to stop using the jack immediately and find a solution before attempting to lift the car again. This may involve finding a different jack that is better suited for the weight of your vehicle or adjusting the placement of the jack to ensure stability.