How long does it take for a car to travel 1200 km at a speed of 50 mph?

In summary, the problem is asking for the travel time of a car that travels at a speed of 50mph from point A to B, covering a distance of 1200 km. The solution involves using the formula Distance = Speed X Time and converting units to find that the journey takes about 14.9 hours.
roger
Homework problem...

Please can you help me with this problem.
I don't understand what its asking and I don't know where to begin :

It says : A car travels at a speed of 50mph from point A to B.
The distance traveled is 1200 km. How long does the journey take ?

Thanks guys for any help !

Roger

Physics news on Phys.org
roger said:
They want you to find the travel time. Use Distance = Speed X Time. Beware of units.

roger said:
Please can you help me with this problem.
I don't understand what its asking and I don't know where to begin :

Thanks guys for any help !

Roger

1200 kilometers (km) × 0.621 = 745.2 miles (mi).
distance=rate*time (in same units)

[tex]\frac{745.2 miles}{50\frac{miles}{hour}} =[/tex]
about 14.9 hours

1. How does the speed of the car affect the time it takes to reach the destination?

The speed of the car directly affects the time it takes to reach the destination. The higher the speed, the shorter the time it takes to reach the destination. This can be explained by the equation, time = distance/speed. As the speed increases, the time decreases.

2. What role does friction play in a car journey?

Friction plays a crucial role in a car journey. It is the force that opposes the motion of the car and is caused by the interaction between the tires and the road. Friction helps the car to maintain traction and control, especially during turns and braking.

3. How does the weight of the car affect its fuel efficiency?

The weight of the car has a significant impact on its fuel efficiency. The heavier the car, the more energy is required to move it, resulting in lower fuel efficiency. This is because the engine has to work harder to overcome the car's weight and maintain its speed.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both the speed and direction of an object's motion. In a car journey, the speed can vary, but the velocity remains constant as long as the car is moving in the same direction.

5. How does air resistance affect the car's speed?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of the car's motion. It increases as the car's speed increases, making it harder for the car to move forward. This means that the higher the car's speed, the more energy is needed to overcome air resistance and maintain its speed.