Car Maintenance Thread

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
kyphysics
A thread where we chat about car maintenance.

What maintenance are you doing lately? What cost did you pay? What are things you've been recommended by your servicer that you're undecided on doing?

Here is one for me: "engine system cleaning" ($200) The tech said it's recommended. However, when I pressed further, he said it's not urgent and some people literally never do it. However, it can "help" with maintenance of the vehicle.

Ummmmmmm, why do I feel like this is one of those "let's make money of this dude" recommendations that are unnecessary. Anyone ever do one of these? NOTE: This is not a transmission fluid change/flush, which I do think can be helpful/needed.

Answers and Replies

mcastillo356
Gold Member
I've got no car. In Europe is not mandatory. Public transport available and useful
Greetings!

Likes pinball1970
DaveE
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here is one for me: "engine system cleaning" ($200) The tech said it's recommended. However, when I pressed further, he said it's not urgent and some people literally never do it. However, it can "help" with maintenance of the vehicle.

Ummmmmmm, why do I feel like this is one of those "let's make money of this dude" recommendations that are unnecessary.
I think he's telling you "you can't trust my recommendations". From which I'd question what else I can't trust. Ask him to show you where it says that is normal service in the manufacturer's manuals.

BTW, AFAIK "engine system" isn't a thing. Go somewhere else.

Likes russ_watters
gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Could he have meant fuel system cleaning? This apparently does help ( especially for injectors) but you can do it yourself with a gas additive.

Lnewqban
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Use the recommended maintenance schedule from the manufacturer of your car.
Do yourself the most that you can, you will learn more about your machine, and what it really needs, and when.

The rest of any needed work are repairs following any unexpected failure: find a honest mechanical shop or mechanic for those, as you may not have the required tools and space.

Keep up with regular recommended maintenance, and your car will suffer less and will serve you better and more safely.

kyphysics
Could he have meant fuel system cleaning? This apparently does help ( especially for injectors) but you can do it yourself with a gas additive.
No. The report says engine system cleaning.

They have color-coded categories with red being urgent and yellow being recommended, but not something that will make or break your car immediately. This was listed in the yellow section.

Again, when I asked him when it was needed to be done, he said there's no timeline and some people never do it, but that given my mileage, it's just something they "recommend." *shrug*

I'm not doing it.

Lnewqban
Homework Helper
Gold Member
No. The report says engine system cleaning.
Any car engine is composed of several systems: cooling, fuel injection, lubrication, ignition, electronic control, etc.

kyphysics
Any car engine is composed of several systems: cooling, fuel injection, lubrication, ignition, electronic control, etc.
I just called Nissan and they said it was FUEL system cleaning.

I asked if it was urgent and they said they could only tell me it was a recommendation, but not RED/urgent.

I have 38,000 miles and drive belt is recommended to be replaced every 60K-100K miles. They are recommending that NOW (mine's fine...but car is 4 years old and they said it's recommended to be replaced about every 5 years...they are 1 year early...just to LET ME KNOW it's "upcoming"). :rolleyes:

kyphysics
Getting stuff done "early" when my part is fine means they make money.

The fuel system cleaning was also said to be "preventative." Some people never get it done.

DaveE
Science Advisor
Gold Member
OK, fuel system cleaning is a thing (the injectors, mainly). But how often something needs cleaning depends entirely on what you did to make it get dirty. The cleaning procedure/products mostly exist to fix fuel system contamination problems, like if someone put a dead mouse in your gas tank*. IMO, this just isn't an issue for well cared for cars that buy reputable gas.

Manufacturers will naturally be reluctant to suggest not cleaning, but they also don't want to put a bunch of extra maintenance requirements in the manual. Dealers will suggest it to make money, after all, it could be dirty. This is why I prefer to ask the people that made the car, not the people that want to maintain it.

OTOH, we also couldn't tell you how often you should clean your kitchen floor.

I would suggest changing the fuel filter once (or maybe twice) in the car's lifetime (the car's lifetime, not how long you'll own it). That's the part that gets dirty.

* Don't ever replace your gas filler cap with something else, like a rag or newspaper. It's there to keep the fuel system clean.

russ_watters
Mentor
For 1/10th the price.

Lnewqban
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I just called Nissan and they said it was FUEL system cleaning.

I asked if it was urgent and they said they could only tell me it was a recommendation, but not RED/urgent.

I have 38,000 miles and drive belt is recommended to be replaced every 60K-100K miles. They are recommending that NOW (mine's fine...but car is 4 years old and they said it's recommended to be replaced about every 5 years...they are 1 year early...just to LET ME KNOW it's "upcoming"). :rolleyes:
If you have replaced oil regularly, with 38K miles, any system of your 4-year car should be in close to new condition.

I have found these products very effective and free of side effects:
https://seafoamworks.com/product/fuel-injector-cleaner/

https://seafoamworks.com/product/sea-foam-motor-treatment-oil-fuel-additive/

If you live in a humid climate, replacing the brake fluid will prevent internal corrosion of calipers.

If recommended by the manufacturer, replacement of cooling fluid helps the water pump to be happy.

:cool:

Likes russ_watters and berkeman

Suggested for: Car Maintenance Thread

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies