Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car manufacturers' overkill

1. Nov 10, 2015 #1

wolram

Gold Member

AFAIK the only country one can go above 70mph is Germany, so why are these huge engined cars sold world wide, what is the use owning a car with a v10 engine capable of 200mph when your local motorway has a 70mph top limit.
    In fact some 1600cc cars can go over 120mph, it is just crazy when every one is complaining of fuel costs, the most sensible thing would be to design a car with a max of 100mph you can have all the bells and whistles on it you want, so long as can pull a caravan:rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

I don't understand it either.
    The social and economic costs of speeding are huge and governments spend millions on ad campaigns trying to scare drivers into staying within the speed limit.
    Speeding is the second greatest cause of traffic incidents, behind distraction and ahead of alcohol, and the (partial) solution seems bleedingly obvious - speed limiters.
    Of the cars that do have speed limiters the lowest I've heard of is 180 km/hr, many german cars are 250 km/hr.
    There are so many safety regulations piled on production cars manufacturers but limiters never get a mention? Perplexing.

4. Nov 10, 2015 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, for starters because large manufacturers are not in the business of deciding for us what we need.
    It is the consumers that drive what the manufacturers produce.
    And consumers don't have to justify their desires.

This is an argument my wife puts forth a lot 'Why would anyone need X? Why don't we only make Y?'
    To which my response is (diplomatically) 'Not your call'.

5. Nov 10, 2015 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Look at this list, one has to go back to a 1973 mk 3 triumph to find a reasonable spec car, sure safety has improved and production costs have come down so we should be able to make a mk3 triumph variant cheaply and safe.
    http://www.autosnout.com/Car-Top-Speed-List.php

6. Nov 10, 2015 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

By whose definition of 'reasonable'? And who said 'reasonable' is the only allowed goal?

If you want a reasonable car, get a Corolla.
    Are you deciding what other people should get to want? or am I missing the point of this thread?

7. Nov 10, 2015 #6

wolram

Gold Member

It should be down to governments,god help us, to make sane judgments on car manufacturers they make up the speed limits.

8. Nov 10, 2015 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It's not up to the government to decide what we want.

I think you will find that high speed is not the greatest cause of preventable accidents, so limiting it in cars is not an effective strategy for saving lives and property.

9. Nov 10, 2015 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Look at my list Dave then decide is you want one of the top 30,40 cars(why would you) unless you want to be able to break the law in first gear

10. Nov 10, 2015 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What's your point? It's a free country. Who gets to decide what people are allowed to want?

Less argumentatively: what problem are you hoping you solve?

11. Nov 10, 2015 #10

wolram

Gold Member

http://think.direct.gov.uk/speed.html the government think differently.

12. Nov 10, 2015 #11

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This statement is not true. There are a number of countries around the globe where speeds of 70 mph and above are legal. In some of these countries, you don't want to drive less than 70, if you value your life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country

Why 100 mph? If you can't drive legally at 100 mph, why should your car be able to go that fast? Why not 35 mph, if fuel costs are the determining factor?

Why do trains get to go 180 mph? Because they run on track? What about derailments?

Same with planes. Why should planes fly 500 mph? Why not 100 mph? There are planes which are perfectly capable of flying at 100 mph.

If you drive over 100 mph and then complain about fuel cost, don't drive that fast.

13. Nov 10, 2015 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Considering their benchmark is 30mph, I don't know how it applies to fast cars going fast. It applies to lead feet on urban streets. Even a VW can do 30.

14. Nov 10, 2015 #13

wolram

Gold Member

It is not a free country, one can not do as one wants, if governments are elected to support speed limits they should not allow cars that can break it in first gear.

15. Nov 10, 2015 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, the difference between capitalism and fascism is how much the government gets to decide what's best for everyone.

16. Nov 10, 2015 #15

wolram

Gold Member

17. Nov 10, 2015 #16

wolram

Gold Member

This is the one time that Volkswagen should win, the peoples car in fact, you can tart it up give it other specs but keep the top speed below 100mph.

18. Nov 10, 2015 #17

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Fortunately, you are wrong. This IS a free country, more or less, and If you don't like it, you should go live in a country where the government gets to decide such thing. There are some.

Why are you so intent on imposing your morality on other people? It won't work, you know. People will decide what they want, and I'll bet none of them consult you, and manufacturers will build what they want.

You are making a logical argument that is divorced from the reality of the world we live in.

19. Nov 10, 2015 #18

wolram

Gold Member

You are wrong, this is not a free country, we have laws, where the hell is the sense in allowing cars on our roads that can break the speed limit 3 times over

20. Nov 10, 2015 #19

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Again, you are making a logical argument that is pointless. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying it doesn't matter. People are going to do what THEY want to do, not what you want them to do.

21. Nov 10, 2015 #20

wolram

Gold Member

And they are going to keep on killing innocent people. if you look at my other post SPEED KILLS it is official.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook