1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car momentum question

1. Sep 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two vehicles traveling as shown collide at an intersection and lock together. Car A ha sa mass of 1000 kg and was traveling east at 40 m/s. Car B has an unknown mass and was headed south at 15 m/s. If the wreckage skids exactly southeast just after the collision, then what is the mass of Car B. Also, what was the initial speed of the wreckage?

2. Relevant equations
    p=mv
    Pti = Ptf

3. The attempt at a solution
    The thing that is throwing me off with this question is the fact that Car B is of unknown mass. I tried to do trigonometry using the two vectors given, 4000 kg(m/s) [E] and (x)(15 m/s) , but I couldn't seem to work out an answer.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Momentum is a vector quantity. So addition of momentum of A plus momentum of B forms a closed triangle. You are told the angle/s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook