1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car negotiating bend - Forces

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I am confused a little bit with the forces acting on a vehicle when it's negotiating a bend, at constant speed.

Please click the link to see my sketch.

W13638035282205281_1.jpg

On the plan view I see that it's moving with constant speed, along a circular route. That means there is unbalanced force causing central acceleration. F=mv2/R.

Then going to the section I showed the forces acting on the vehicle. Gravity, Normal Force and the friction. These should be the forces causing this F (central acceleration).

Equation 1, 2, 3 and 4 are the ones I have but somehow I couldn't get to the 5 which is given as the overall formula for such movements.

Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Equation #2 is the problem.

[itex]\displaystyle F_\text{f}=\mu N[/itex]

In your equation #5, shouldn't there be a minus sign in the denominator if [itex]\displaystyle \ \frac{v^2}{R}>g\tan(\theta)\ ?[/itex]

4. Mar 20, 2013 #3

Thanks SammyS.

Eq#2: if N=m.g.cos0 is not true then I'm more confused...

But equation#5. I hope you are right. That's the main issue that confuses me; every source gives a different formula, some of them take the directions different, some of them find the signs of cos & sin different. I really don't understand how this thing can have so many variations...

One other question; instead of breaking down everything along major x and y axis es, can I use the inclined surface as my x and the perpendicular as y?

Fc.cos0=Ff+m.g.sin0 ?

5. Mar 20, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you can do that.

Added in Edit:

The perpendicular component then gives:

FC sin(θ) + N = mg cos(θ) .

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  6. Mar 20, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If N=m.g.cosθ then there is no net force perpendicular to the plane. But Fc has a component in that direction, so this cannot be true.
    Also, it is not true in general that the force of static friction is given by Fsf = Nμs. That's the limiting case, i.e. |Fsf| ≤ Nμs. For the max speed, Fsf = Nμs, assuming Fsf is measured down the plane. But, measuring it the same way, there may also be a minimum speed given by Fsf = -Nμs.

7. Mar 20, 2013 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Using your sketch showing the vehicle on the inclined roadway, I get the following.

Of course, the magnitude of the force of friction is given by
    [itex]\displaystyle
    F_\text{f}=\mu N[/itex]​

The sum of the forces in the vertical direction is:
    [itex]\displaystyle
    N\cos(\theta)-F_\text{f}\sin(\theta)-mg=0[/itex]

Therefore,

[itex]\displaystyle N\cos(\theta)-\mu N\sin(\theta)-mg=0[/itex]​
    Solve that for N.

The sum of the forces in the vertical direction is:
    [itex]\displaystyle
    N\sin(\theta)+F_\text{f}\cos(\theta)=ma_c\,, \ [/itex] where aC is the centripetal acceleration.

That becomes [itex]\displaystyle \ \ N\sin(\theta)+\mu N\cos(\theta)=ma_c\ . [/itex]​
    I realize that I didn't use the centripetal force, FC explicitly. I find it's clearer for me to do it this way.

8. Mar 20, 2013 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

haruspex makes a good point regarding μN being the maximum possible frictional force.

Therefore, your results are for the maximum speed possible, our equivalently they're for the minimum value of μ needed to negotiate the curve under the specified conditions .

9. Mar 20, 2013 #8

I couldn't understand the first part. To me, Fc is a resultant force, it's not a force acting on the body so I always thought I can not write it as "m.g.cos0-Fc.sin0 = N". I don't know why because the same thing makes sense to me for the other axis ie. "Fc.cos0=Ff+m.g.sin0". :S

Looks like I am misinterpreting some fundamental rules.

I got it! I understand what you mean now. When I use the secondary axis es (along the slope and perpendicular) and think of the position of the object 2 seconds later I can see the acceleration along both axis es.

Thank you very much SammyS and haruspex! I understand what you are saying about the friction and I will look at the minimum speed version tomorrow - to make sure I understood :) and probably post again if I can't figure that out.

You were really helpful...thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted