1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car on a banked curve

1. Mar 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    car is on a banked curve of angle 18o, radius 70m. Mass of car = 1020kg and weight is taken as 1.0x10^4 N. Find the resultant force and the normal force N when the car is at the design speed.

2. Relevant equations
    force diagram equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated Normal force to be 10514.6N
    I calculated the resultant force to be the component of the normal force towards the centre of the banked curve, and got 3249.2N

I think design speed just means max speed the car can safely travel around the curve at, I calculated this to be approx. 14.9 m/s but i could be quite wrong.

Are there things i'm forgetting to consider? is this exactly what the question asks for?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2009 #2
    I checked your answers and everything, and from what I know, you are completely correct.

By the way, as advice, if you have not already done it in other examples it is good show working on the site, and if possible a vector diagram.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook