1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car on a banked curve

1. Nov 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A certain curve on a freeway has a radius of 200m and is banked at an angle of 25°. A 200-kg car moves around the curve at constant speed.

1. If the speed of the car is 35m/s, what friction force is needed to keep the car moving in a circle?
    2. If the speed of the car is 35m/s, what normal force acts on the car?
    3. If the speed of the car is 35m/s, what is the minimum value of the coefficient of friction?

2. Relevant equations
    a[itex]_{cent}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{v^{2}}{R}[/itex]
    F[itex]_{cent}[/itex]=m*a[itex]_{cent}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have been attempting to solve this problem for about a week now but have but hopelessly stuck.

1. I tried to set up the equation so that the x-component of Weight plus the friction force (since the friction force points inwards) was equal to the Centripetal Force, like so:

F[itex]_{x}[/itex] = Wsin(25) + f = m*a[itex]_{cent}[/itex]
    (Where f = friction force)

But I couldn't seem to get the right answer.

2.I figured that since the car has no vertical acceleration the sum of the net forces in the Y direction should equal to zero. In this case the only forces with Y components are the weight and normal force. Therefore:
    F[itex]_{y}[/itex] = N - Wcos(25) = 0

However, this also produced an incorrect result.

3. I know that I can simply divide the force of friction by the Normal force to get the coefficient, so I guess I don't really need help on this one.

Answers were provided to me for these questions, but I still can't seem to get the same figures:
    1. 2820N
    2. 22900N
    3. 0.123
    3. 0.123

Thanks in advanced for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2012 #2
    If the diagram of the forces is shown one finds it easier to give help.

4. Nov 24, 2012 #3
    No diagram of the forces was given. Only a picture showing a car on a banked curve.

5. Nov 24, 2012 #4
    Usually one starts the solution of this problem with a diagram of the forces.

So what I meant was the diagram that YOU have to try to do showing these forces.

6. Nov 24, 2012 #5
    I think that the answers for (1) and (2) are 282N and 2290N respectively.

7. Nov 24, 2012 #6
    So I ended up solving the remainder of the questions using the equations I found here.

Also, the free body diagram on that website was essentially what I had drawn out initially. I think the trigonometry involved was what was throwing me off.

The only problem I am now having issues solving is finding the minimum possible speed of the car if the coefficient of friction is .20.
    EDIT: Never mind, just figured that one out too. Thanks for the help guys.

8. Nov 24, 2012 #7
    Let us call the coefficient of friction μ. Then the frictional force will be given by
    frictional force = μN where N is the normal reaction of the road on the car.

I do not think that you will have any problem in finding the speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook