1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car on loop

1. Sep 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a loop-the-loop ride a car goes around a vertical, circular loop at a constant speed. The car has a mass m = 260 kg and moves with speed v = 15 m/s. The loop-the-loop has a radius of R = 10 m. What is the minimum speed of the car so that it stays in contact with the track at the top of the loop?

2. Relevant equations
    ac=v2/r
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    At the top of the loop, the forces acting on the car are Fgravity, FNormal, and Fcentrifugal (I think). So I think the minimum speed would be one that made all the forces cancel to zero (aka, Fc is just strong enough to counteract Fgravity and FNormal). If that's true, then Fc=FN+Fg. Since Fc=m*ac=v2/r , so far I have: m*ac=v2/r = m*g+m*g.
    ..but I don't think that makes sense... Is FN in this case equal and opposite to Fc?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If the car is only just staying in contact, what will the normal force equal? Remember, this the force the track and car exert on each other.

4. Sep 24, 2015 #3
    The normal force will equal the force of gravity, m*g?

5. Sep 25, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why would it have to be that?
    A normal force is the reaction that results when attempting to push an object through something that resists. When you place an object on solid ground, the weight of the object acts to push the object through the floor. The normal force is the reaction necessary from the floor to prevent it. When you place on object on an incline, only part of the weight is trying to push the object into the incline, so the normal force is less. In this case, what is trying to push the object through the top of the loop?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted