Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car problem

1. Sep 7, 2003 #1
    Please help me with this problem. I have tried many things to solve it, but there doesn't seem to be enough supplied information. I'm sure I'm just overlooking something. Thanks.

A car traveling at 60mi/h (88ft/s) skids 176 ft after its breaks are suddenly applied. Under the assumption that the braking system provides constant deceleration, what is that deceleration? For how long does the skid continue?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2003 #2
    Hi mailman85, welcome to Physicsforums!

First this problem is suppose to be at the Physics section.

Anyway.

First, identify all the known variables. Then identify all the five kinematics equations. Now plug the known variables into one of the kinematic equation.

One thing you have to make sure is that the direction of the acceleration is negative.

4. Sep 8, 2003 #3
    You can use the following equation for acceleration. You know the initial speed the final speed and the distance. That is enough to solve for both time and acceleration.

D=T(vf+vi)/2 can be used to find time.

You should be able to find the equation for for acceleration.

hope this helps

5. Sep 8, 2003 #4
    Try v^2 = u^2 + 2ad

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?