1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car pulls a trailer of weight

1. May 4, 2012 #1
    EDIT: I JUST REALISED YOU CAN'T DO 1 WORD THREAD TITLES, SORRY ! WON'T DO IT AGAIN!

A car pulls a trailer of weight 2500 N with a force of 20 N for a distance of 8 km along
    a horizontal road.

How much work is done by the car in pulling the trailer?
    A 160 J
    B 20 000 J
    C 160 000 J
    D 20 000 000 J

I know work done = force x displacement

so it should be 20 x 8000 = 160,000 J (so the answer is C)

But what I am confused about is surely the weight of the trailer will affect how much work the car does in pulling it? I mean for instance if the trailer was 5 N, shouldn't the work done be MUCH less .. BTW can you please try explain in simple terms since I am not that advanced at Physics as you guys.

Cheers :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi influx! :smile:
    work done = change in energy

if you applied the same force for the same distance, the two trailers' increased kinetic energy would be the same

but the heavier trailer's speed would have increased less :wink:

4. May 4, 2012 #3
    Hi :)

Oh! Never knew that! When you say change in energy, what exactly do you mean? And does the speed increase less because kinetic energy = 1/2(mv2) , so as the value for 'm' increases, the value of 'v' decreases?

Cheers

5. May 4, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if the speed goes from u to v, then the change in energy (on a horizontal road) is 1/2mv2 - 1/2mu2

if that is the same for two masses, the one with larger m must have smaller (v2 - u2)

6. May 4, 2012 #5
    Who says that the 20N force is increasing the KE of the trailer, and not just overcoming air resistance?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook