Car race riddle (not too hard, not too easy)

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem where a red car with a top speed of 70mph and a blue car with a top speed of 80mph are in a race. The blue car has a 20 minute head start, and assuming constant top speeds, it takes a certain amount of time for the blue car to catch up to the red car. The conversation then adds an element of a mysterious death of the red car driver, potentially caused by the dog in a Sherlock Holmes hat.
Couperin
My mum told me this one, it's pretty cool :).

The red car and the blue car are having a race. The red car, which has a top speed of 70mph has a 20 minute head start over the blue car, which has a top speed of 80mph.

Assuming that top speeds are reached the very instant a car starts, and that the top speeds are constant, how long will it take, in minutes, for the blue car to catch up with the red car?

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't really a brain teaser.. its a simple physics problem...:rolleyes:

Okay I'll add another element. When the blue car finally catches up with the red car, the driver of the blue car looks through the window and notices that the driver of the red car has a dagger through his chest. On the passenger side seat sits a dog wearing a Sherlock Holmes hat, who woofs twice. There is also a small puddle of cool water in the front footwell. How did the driver of the red car die?

Anyway sorry I didn't realize that this wasn't the place for this kind of problem :D.

Couperin said:
Okay I'll add another element. When the blue car finally catches up with the red car, the driver of the blue car looks through the window and notices that the driver of the red car has a dagger through his chest. On the passenger side seat sits a dog wearing a Sherlock Holmes hat, who woofs twice. There is also a small puddle of cool water in the front footwell. How did the driver of the red car die?

Lol... :rofl:

What is the car race riddle?

The car race riddle is a puzzle that involves a race between four cars with different speeds and a set of rules that determine the outcome of the race.

What are the rules of the car race riddle?

The rules of the car race riddle are as follows:
1. The red car always finishes first.
2. The blue car always finishes second.
3. The green car always finishes third.
4. The yellow car always finishes fourth.

What is the solution to the car race riddle?

The solution to the car race riddle is to arrange the cars in the following order:
1. Red car
2. Blue car
3. Green car
4. Yellow car

Can the solution to the car race riddle be different?

No, the solution to the car race riddle cannot be different as the rules are fixed and cannot be changed.

Is the car race riddle considered a difficult puzzle?

The car race riddle is considered to be a moderately difficult puzzle as it requires logical thinking and attention to detail. However, with some patience and careful analysis, the solution can be easily found.