Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car Rolling Friction

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    Hello guys,

I would like to help me with rolling friction on a car(i am building a project that simulates the forces
    applied to a vehicle when it moves on a straight road http://rapidshare.de/files/40862186/Vehicle_Sim.zip.html).

So:

Engine has a torque at some RPM,and the torque goes to the wheels with gearbox.If car weights 1000kg,and
    rolling friction coefficient is 0.03, then total friction force for all 4 wheels is 1000*9.81*0.03=294N.

1)what happends if torque on wheels from engine in certain RPM is 190N (<=294)?friction then is 0 or 190 or 294?
    2)friction depends on speed?
    3)when a apply brake,and brakes make car slows down with acceleration=9m/s^2,friction force changes direction?
    4) if friction is 294N and car speed=0,and driver presses acceleration pedal but the torque on wheels is only 100N,
    the car will never roll?

thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2
    1) If friction is preventing the car from moving, then the frictional torque is equal to the torque it is acting against (190)
    2) Static (unmoving) friction depends on the force it is opposing, because friction never adds energy to a system and can only oppose the other forces acting on it. Once the car is moving, the frictional force does not very with speed
    3) Yes, when braking, the frictional force reverses direction
    4) Unless the force of friction can be overcome, the car will not move

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    Thank You so much:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?