Finding Initial Speed of Car Skidding to a Stop on Wet Road

• Thread starter Packocrayons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the initial speed of a car that slid 88m to a stop on a wet, level road with a coefficient of friction of 0.42. The conversation explores using equations such as KE = .5mv^2, Δd = v1Δt + .5aΔt^2, and other kinematics, dynamics, and work/energy/power equations to solve for the initial speed. It is determined that Newton's second law of motion and the definition of the force of friction can be used to find the acceleration of the car, which is then used to calculate the initial speed.
Packocrayons

Homework Statement

The driver of a car is traveling on a wet, level road, and slams on the brakes. The car slides 88M to a stop, with a coefficient of friction of 0.42. What was the initial speed of the car?

Homework Equations

KE = .5mv2
Δd = v1Δt + .5aΔt2
Any other kinematics, dynamics, and work/energy/power equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried subbing equations together but I always end up with 3 variables, v1, a, and Δt. I feel like mass is required for any solution, because then friction could be calculated and the rest would be simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
well so there's only one force acting on the car during this time, and that's the force due to friction. Try and get the acceleration of the car from that.

But you can't find the force of friction without the normal force (requiring mass), and if you wanted to find acceleration you would need time, correct?

Use Newton's second law of motion and the definition of the force of friction.

How would I use that, Fnet=ma doesn't really help as I have none of those values.

Well you know that the only force acting on the car is the force due to friction, this is

Ffric = μFN = μmg

and you know that the sum of all the forces acting on something is

Fnet = ma

what can you get from that?

My brain is telling me:
μg = a
But I have the strangest feeling that's wrong.
Thanks for the help by the way.

your brain is correct :)

Since we know that Fnet = ma and that Ffric is the only force acting on the car and we also know that Fnet = Ffric

we can therefore say that ma = μmg

and therefore a = μg

from that you can use one of the basic equations of constant acceleration.

Thanks, I understand how to do the problem now, and that should help me with other ones.

1. What causes a car to skid to a stop?

There are several factors that can cause a car to skid to a stop, including slippery road conditions, worn or improperly inflated tires, excessive speed, and abrupt braking or turning.

2. How can I prevent my car from skidding to a stop?

To prevent your car from skidding to a stop, make sure to always drive at a safe speed and maintain a safe following distance from other vehicles. Regularly check and maintain your tires and avoid sudden or aggressive braking or turning.

3. What should I do if my car begins to skid to a stop?

If your car starts to skid, remain calm and do not panic. Take your foot off the accelerator and avoid slamming on the brakes. Instead, gently steer in the direction of the skid and gradually apply the brakes until you come to a stop.

4. Can skidding to a stop cause damage to my car?

Skidding to a stop can cause damage to your car's tires, brakes, and suspension if it occurs frequently. It can also put unnecessary strain on your engine and transmission. It is important to address any underlying issues that may be causing your car to skid to prevent further damage.

5. How can I improve my car's handling and prevent skidding to a stop?

To improve your car's handling and prevent skidding to a stop, make sure to regularly maintain your vehicle and its components. This includes checking and replacing worn tires, getting regular tune-ups, and practicing safe driving habits such as following speed limits and avoiding sudden maneuvers. You can also consider investing in winter tires for improved traction in slippery conditions.