Solving for Original Speed in a Changing Velocity Problem

In summary, the problem asks for the distance traveled when a person speeds up by 4.5 miles per hour. The original speed is not mentioned, so the person is asking for the distance traveled when they are at 4.5 miles per hour and then increase their speed by 4.5 miles per hour.
xsc614
Can someone help me with this problem?

Driving along a crowded freeway, you notice that it takes a time t to go from one mile marker to the next. When you increase your speed by 4.5 mi/h, the time to go one mile decreases by 11 s. What was your original speed?

I cannot figure out how to do this problem, just the method alone would be very helpful. I kept thinking the original mile had to be in 60 sec, and I just can't figure out how to clearly go about this problem. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use some variables to help you get going. What is the definition of speed? It's distance covered in some amount of time, right? So use V1 for the initial velocity, T1 the 11 second time, and the known D1=1 mi.

Then V2 = V1 + 4.5 mi/h, and T2 = T1 - 11 s, and the distance is the same.

Does that help?

Thats basically restating what the problem says. Are there any formulas to relate them to each other, like proportions? This problem seems impossible to answer without knowing like the time it took for the first mile or some other piece of info.

xsc614 said:
Thats basically restating what the problem says. Are there any formulas to relate them to each other, like proportions? This problem seems impossible to answer without knowing like the time it took for the first mile or some other piece of info.

Then V2 = V1 + 4.5 mi/h, and T2 = T1 - 11 s, and the distance is the same.

With the info that berkeman listed, I don't see how you can't the clue. You are asked to find V1:

V1 = d/T1
V2 = d/T2

Cant you use the data that's listed and make things a little simpler?

Last edited:
xsc614 said:

ranger and I are doing our best, xsc. This an algebra problem. Show us the algrebra equations that you are having problems with, and we will try to offer help at the algebra level. You know that we do not offer solutions, correct?

What is car speed physics?

Car speed physics is the study of the motion of cars and how they interact with their environment. It involves understanding concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and force, and how they affect a car's movement.

How is car speed calculated?

Car speed can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This is known as average speed. Another way to calculate car speed is by measuring the change in velocity over time, known as acceleration.

What factors affect a car's speed?

Several factors can affect a car's speed, including the car's engine power, weight, aerodynamics, and tire traction. Other external factors such as road conditions, weather, and air resistance can also impact a car's speed.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they are slightly different concepts. Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the rate at which an object is moving in a specific direction. In other words, velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's movement.

How does car speed affect braking distance?

The faster a car is moving, the longer it will take for it to come to a complete stop. This is because the car needs more time and distance to slow down due to its higher speed. Braking distance is directly proportional to car speed, so the higher the speed, the longer the braking distance will be.