1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car starting from rest

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a car starting at velocity=0 m/s, what would limit the acceleration in the first fraction of a second? (It's isn't the power of the engine) Use the fact that the force acceleration the car is the power over the velocity minus the air resistance force. The drag coefficient is 1.

2. Relevant equations

where A=cross sectional area

3. The attempt at a solution
    All I can see is that if v=0, then the first term for the acceleration approaches infinity. But in the question it says it doesn't have to do with the power.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2
    The coefficient of static friction acts upon the wheels of the car in the first fraction of a second--it'll limit the acceleration.
  4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    I forgot to add in the part that the drag coefficient=1

Is your answer still right?
  5. Nov 9, 2008 #4

What's your question? If it's asking what forces limit the maximum acceleration during the first second, then yes, I think I'm correct.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?