Car starting from rest

• Thread starter fk378
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Rest
In summary, the maximum acceleration of a car starting at velocity=0 m/s is limited by the coefficient of static friction and the air resistance force, as represented by the equation a=(P/v)-(.5Av^2) where P is the power of the engine and v is the velocity of the car. The drag coefficient of 1 also plays a role in limiting the acceleration.
fk378

Homework Statement

For a car starting at velocity=0 m/s, what would limit the acceleration in the first fraction of a second? (It's isn't the power of the engine) Use the fact that the force acceleration the car is the power over the velocity minus the air resistance force. The drag coefficient is 1.

Homework Equations

a=(P/v)-(.5Av^2)

where A=cross sectional area

The Attempt at a Solution

All I can see is that if v=0, then the first term for the acceleration approaches infinity. But in the question it says it doesn't have to do with the power.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fk378 said:

Homework Statement

For a car starting at velocity=0 m/s, what would limit the acceleration in the first fraction of a second? (It's isn't the power of the engine) Use the fact that the force acceleration the car is the power over the velocity minus the air resistance force.

Homework Equations

a=(P/v)-(.5Av^2)

where A=cross sectional area

The Attempt at a Solution

All I can see is that if v=0, then the first term for the acceleration approaches infinity. But in the question it says it doesn't have to do with the power.

The coefficient of static friction acts upon the wheels of the car in the first fraction of a second--it'll limit the acceleration.

I forgot to add in the part that the drag coefficient=1

Is your answer still right?

fk378 said:
I forgot to add in the part that the drag coefficient=1

Is your answer still right?

What's your question? If it's asking what forces limit the maximum acceleration during the first second, then yes, I think I'm correct.

1. How does a car start from rest?

When a car is at rest, the engine is not running and the wheels are not moving. To start the car, the driver must turn the ignition key or press a button, which sends an electrical signal to the starter motor. The starter motor then turns the engine, which ignites the fuel and air mixture in the cylinders, causing the engine to run. As the engine runs, power is transferred to the wheels through the transmission and the car starts to move.

2. What is the role of the starter motor in starting a car from rest?

The starter motor is responsible for turning the engine when the car is starting from rest. It receives an electrical signal from the ignition and uses its electric motor to rotate the engine's crankshaft. This rotation starts the engine, which allows the car to start moving.

3. Can a car start moving immediately from rest?

No, a car cannot start moving immediately from rest. When a car is at rest, the engine is not running and there is no power being transferred to the wheels. It takes a few seconds for the engine to start and for power to be transferred to the wheels through the transmission. Additionally, the car's brakes may need to be released before it can start moving.

4. What factors can affect how quickly a car starts from rest?

There are several factors that can affect how quickly a car starts from rest, including the condition of the car's battery, the temperature outside, and the type of fuel being used. A weak or dead battery can make it difficult for the car to start, especially in cold weather. In addition, colder temperatures can make it harder for the engine to ignite the fuel, resulting in a slower start. The type of fuel being used can also affect the car's starting time, as some fuels are more volatile and easier to ignite than others.

5. What should I do if my car is having trouble starting from rest?

If your car is having trouble starting from rest, there are a few things you can check. First, make sure the battery is charged and in good condition. If the battery is weak or dead, it may need to be replaced. You should also check the fuel levels and make sure you are using the correct type of fuel for your car. If these things do not solve the issue, it is best to take your car to a mechanic for further inspection.