1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car stops

1. Aug 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The minimum stopping distance for a car traveling at a speed of 30 m/s is 60 m, including the distance traveled during the driver's reaction time of 0.50 s.

(a) What is the minimum stopping distance for the same car traveling at a speed of 60 m/s?

2. Relevant equations
    Vf^2= V0^2 + 2ax

3. The attempt at a solution
    Now I have my equation set up, but I can't figure out the change in x. Instead I have (60m-x) in my equation, but I'm looking for acceleration so that I can use that in my next equation when it comes to going 60 m/s. How is one to find the other x if it is not given?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2008 #2
    The relevant equation should be written as:

Vf2 = Vi2 +2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x is the distance the car goes to stop.
  4. Aug 31, 2008 #3
    Gotcha... wow, now I feel rather dense. That makes perfect sense- I've no idea why I skipped over that. All right, I worked the equations and got 7.5 m/s/s as my acceleration. I used that in my equation involving 60 m/s (0^2= 60^2 + 2(7.5)x) and got 240 as my answer. Yet this is wrong, is there something in my calculations that is incorrect?
  5. Aug 31, 2008 #4
    Did you include the distance you travel before you hit the brakes?
  6. Aug 31, 2008 #5
    Yes, using the equation: deltax= V0*t + (.5)(a)(t^2). My numbers being: V0=60; t=.5; a=7.5. totalling to 270.94, and yet that did not work either.

(I had tried both answers before)
  7. Aug 31, 2008 #6
    The car is not accelerating before the brakes are applied.

The equation you should use is x = vt.
  8. Aug 31, 2008 #7
    Yikes. That's just basic... I think I'm a bit tired. Right, well then, that would mean it travel 60m*.5s leaving 120m total during that time. Adding that to my original 240 brings me to 270m total.... well. That was just depressing, as that didn't work. :/ Now something must be wrong. I've done everything wrong along the way, then correcting it, and yet 270 seems as if that is correct...
  9. Aug 31, 2008 #8
    Is the correct answer 210m?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?