1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car suspensions problem

1. Jan 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok, I was stumped by this simple online quiz which asked the variation of acceleration with time of a suspension unit of a car after a road bump which follows SHM. (HC0809)

A. Straight line
    B. Ellipse
    C. Circle
    D. Parabola

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer was supposed to be sinusoidal and the quiz gave the answer as A, straight line but that is obviously wrong since

[tex] a=-w^2x[/tex]

And the correct form is

[tex] a=-w^2x_0sinwt[/tex]

Am i missing something, is the quiz wrong

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2008 #2

mda

Was that the exact wording? Maybe there is something you've missed...

Real suspensions also have damping and under particular conditions the oscillation is barely observable... but I don't think a "straight line" would ever be correct for the acceleration.

4. Jan 11, 2008 #3
    nooooooo....... the acceleration-displacement graph is a negative gradient straight line, through origin. and the equation is a = -w^2X0

at least this is what we learn in high school.....

5. Jan 11, 2008 #4
    If you graph acceleration vs. displacement it is indeed a straight line

with a slope of -w^2, as given by his equation a=-w^2*x

However that's not what he was asked for, unless he read the question wrong. Maybe the question made that slip up

6. Jan 11, 2008 #5
    yes there was damping mentioned in the question but I dont see how a straight line could every beformed if the graph was an acceleration time one

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?