Light Speed at 0.8c: Is My Understanding Correct?

• Thread starter RisingSun361
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the concept of light traveling at different speeds depending on the frame of reference is a result of relativity. In reality, everyone agrees that light travels at the constant speed of c, but due to time dilation and length contraction, observers may perceive it as traveling at different speeds. This is confirmed by the relativistic velocity addition formula, which takes into account the relative velocities of different frames of reference.
RisingSun361
The following is my understanding of how light travels:

I’m driving my car at 0.8 c, and turn on the headlights. The light comes out at 0.2 c, producing a net speed of exactly 1.0 c. I see it as 1.0 c, and an observer on the side of the road sees it as 1.0 c, although the light itself is actually moving at much less than c, just 0.2 c. The faster the car goes, the slower the light, always producing a net speed of 1.0 c.

Is my understanding correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
RisingSun361 said:

I’m driving my car at 0.8 c, and turn on the headlights. The light comes out at 0.2 c, producing a net speed of exactly 1.0 c. I see it as 1.0 c, and an observer on the side of the road sees it as 1.0 c, although the light itself is actually moving at much less than c, just 0.2 c. The faster the car goes, the slower the light, always producing a net speed of 1.0 c.

No. The light is traveling at c in both the car's and the roadside observer's reference frames, it does not travel at 0.2c according to anyone. c is the speed that light is "actually" moving at in all inertial reference frames (in a vacuum), it is never "actually" moving at less than that.

RisingSun361 said:

Always ask yourself "with respect to what?" when you hear yourself (or anyone else) talking about velocity. If the answer isn't explicitly stated, and isn't obvious from context, the problem isn't specified properly. That is part of what is going wrong with your picture.

Sitting in your car, you can consider yourself to be at rest. From your viewpoint, the light is traveling away from you at c - not 0.2c, or anything else. From the viewpoint of an observer at rest on the roadside, you are doing 0.8c and the light is doing c.

In fact, everyone agrees that the light is doing c. They do not (in general) agree what speed you are doing, so will not agree on the rate at which the light is opening the gap between you. But they will always note that your clocks are time-dilated and your rulers length-contracted, so will be unsurprised that you consider light to be opening the gap at c.

Google for "relativistic velocity addition". The relevant formula will be ##w=(u+v)/(1+uv)##, where ##u## is the velocity of the car relative to you, ##v## is the velocity relative to the car of something thrown from the car, and ##w## will be the velocity of the something relative to you. Here we have ##u=.8c## and ##v=c##.

Without relativity, you would expect ##w=(u+v)##, but experiments (including some done long before the discovery of relativity, so the results were somewhat baffling at the time) have confirmed that the relativistic formula is correct. It's very hard to see any difference if ##u## and ##v## are both small compared to the speed of light, which is why we don't often notice.

Ibix said:
But they will always note that your clocks are time-dilated and your rulers length-contracted, so will be unsurprised that you consider light to be opening the gap at c.

Don't forget relativity of simultaneity! If we use the standard Einstein clock synchronization scheme, all three are needed to "conspire together" to ensure that the roadside observer ("Alice") correctly notes that according to the car observer ("Bob"), the gap between car and light beam is widening at c (even though she herself marks it down as c-v). Bob's frame marks the light beam's progress at two events: when it's originally emitted and when it's propagated some distance from the car (a distance that, according to Alice will be exaggerated by Bob since the latter is observed to use contracted rulers). The two clocks that Bob has to use are at different places in his reference frame, and so Alice would say that Bob's account of the light propagating away from him at c is because he measures its recession with contracted rulers and with clocks that are both running too slow and aren't synchronized with each other.

Of course, when it comes to this sort of thing it's much easier to just forget about length contraction, time dilation, and relativity of simultaneity and just get the velocity composition formula straight from the Lorentz transformations. The synchronization scheme is just a convention anyway. But it's nice to be reminded now and then of the completely internally consistent "stories" observers can tell to explain why relatively moving observers observe the things they do.

Last edited:

1. What is light speed at 0.8c?

Light speed at 0.8c refers to the speed of light when it is traveling at 0.8 times the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 240 million meters per second.

2. How does light speed at 0.8c compare to the speed of light in a vacuum?

The speed of light in a vacuum is considered to be the fastest speed in the universe, so light speed at 0.8c is still incredibly fast but it is not as fast as the speed of light in a vacuum.

3. What does the "c" in light speed at 0.8c stand for?

The "c" in light speed at 0.8c stands for the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

4. Is it possible for an object to travel at light speed at 0.8c?

No, it is not possible for an object to travel at light speed at 0.8c or at the speed of light in a vacuum. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it would require an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light.

5. How does light speed at 0.8c affect time and space?

At light speed at 0.8c, time and space are affected by the theory of relativity. Time will appear to slow down for an observer on the moving object, and the length of the object will appear to shrink in the direction of motion. This is due to the relationship between time, space, and the speed of light.