Noisy Engine Woes: Need Help Diagnosing a Problem!

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine
In summary, your engine was making weird sounds last night when you were about to drive home so you ended up leaving it at the University and getting a ride home. You have to tow it back to a garage near your house today.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
So, my engine was making weird sounds last night when I was about to drive home so I ended up leaving it at the University and getting a ride home(which is 20 minutes away). I have to tow it back to a garage near my house today, since we don't think its a good idea to take it on the interstate now. Obviously this is just what I want to do on Friday! If only I was sure what was wrong. I think the sheath over the fan may be loose and causing the noise (sounds like plastic hitting plastic). It first started when I turned on my AC but now happens even when the AC is off.

Anyone have any idea what could be making the noise?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd check the fan, the belts, and the cooler fluid.

You should be able to track it to within very close to the source just by directional listening. The fan shroud is definitely a viable suspect. The fan might not be hitting it, though; the shroud itself might just be vibrating against the radiator tank or some other solid part.
Although it might be coincidence, I'd also check around to see if there's any loose bit that might have been shifted by the AC clutch pulling in. For instance, is your belt tensioner (if you have one) properly aligned? Does the sound change to match increased engine rpm's?

Did you check the belt? If you have a cut in it and a piece is flopping free, it creates a truly scary sound as it smacks against all of the other parts in the engine. Cutting off the frayed part will kill the sound and you can probably drive home and to the auto parts store.

You'd want to replace the belt as soon as you can, though, since the belt's going to break the rest of the way fairly soon.

Kind of unrelated, but there's a tow truck broken down alongside the road outside the building where I work. That's irony for you. We're all tempted to start walking outside one at a time and asking him if he needs a tow.

BobG said:
Kind of unrelated, but there's a tow truck broken down alongside the road outside the building where I work. That's irony for you. We're all tempted to start walking outside one at a time and asking him if he needs a tow.
You don't think you'd all look a wee bit silly talking to a truck?

Some noises can be truly scary, but relatively harmless. I was WAY up in the woods fishing yesterday, and started getting groaning howling sounds from under the hood. Turns out the bearing on the power-steering belt idler was failing, and when it seized up on the way home (as I feared it would), suddenly the steering got VERY stiff just as I was meeting an approaching pulp truck on a curve on that narrow gravel road. I hit the brakes, hugged the ditch, and drove home at speeds appropriate for my steering ability. Luckily, it was just that cheap little idler pulley and a belt, not the power-steering pump that failed.

1. What could be causing my engine to make loud noises?

There are several reasons why your engine may be making loud noises, including worn out or damaged belts, low oil levels, dirty air filters, faulty spark plugs, or a problem with the exhaust system. It is important to have a professional mechanic diagnose and fix the issue to prevent further damage to your engine.

2. How can I tell if the noise is coming from the engine?

If the noise is coming from the engine, it will usually be louder when the car is idling or accelerating. You may also notice the noise getting worse over time. It is best to have a mechanic listen to the noise and determine the source of the problem.

3. Can I continue driving my car with a noisy engine?

It is not recommended to continue driving your car with a noisy engine. The noise could be a sign of a serious issue that could lead to engine failure if left untreated. It is best to have a professional diagnose and fix the problem as soon as possible.

4. How much will it cost to fix a noisy engine?

The cost of fixing a noisy engine can vary depending on the cause of the noise and the extent of the damage. It is best to have a mechanic diagnose the issue and provide an estimate for the cost of repairs.

5. Is regular maintenance important for preventing noisy engine problems?

Yes, regular maintenance is crucial for preventing noisy engine problems. Keeping up with oil changes, replacing worn out parts, and addressing any issues early on can help prevent larger, more expensive problems from occurring in the future.