Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car Trouble

1. Sep 14, 2007 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, my engine was making weird sounds last night when I was about to drive home so I ended up leaving it at the University and getting a ride home(which is 20 minutes away). I have to tow it back to a garage near my house today, since we don't think its a good idea to take it on the interstate now. Obviously this is just what I want to do on Friday! If only I was sure what was wrong. I think the sheath over the fan may be loose and causing the noise (sounds like plastic hitting plastic). It first started when I turned on my AC but now happens even when the AC is off.

Anyone have any idea what could be making the noise?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd check the fan, the belts, and the cooler fluid.

4. Sep 14, 2007 #3

Danger

Gold Member

You should be able to track it to within very close to the source just by directional listening. The fan shroud is definitely a viable suspect. The fan might not be hitting it, though; the shroud itself might just be vibrating against the radiator tank or some other solid part.
    Although it might be coincidence, I'd also check around to see if there's any loose bit that might have been shifted by the AC clutch pulling in. For instance, is your belt tensioner (if you have one) properly aligned? Does the sound change to match increased engine rpm's?

5. Sep 14, 2007 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you check the belt? If you have a cut in it and a piece is flopping free, it creates a truly scary sound as it smacks against all of the other parts in the engine. Cutting off the frayed part will kill the sound and you can probably drive home and to the auto parts store.

You'd want to replace the belt as soon as you can, though, since the belt's going to break the rest of the way fairly soon.

Kind of unrelated, but there's a tow truck broken down alongside the road outside the building where I work. That's irony for you. We're all tempted to start walking outside one at a time and asking him if he needs a tow.

6. Sep 14, 2007 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't think you'd all look a wee bit silly talking to a truck?

7. Sep 14, 2007 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Some noises can be truly scary, but relatively harmless. I was WAY up in the woods fishing yesterday, and started getting groaning howling sounds from under the hood. Turns out the bearing on the power-steering belt idler was failing, and when it seized up on the way home (as I feared it would), suddenly the steering got VERY stiff just as I was meeting an approaching pulp truck on a curve on that narrow gravel road. I hit the brakes, hugged the ditch, and drove home at speeds appropriate for my steering ability. Luckily, it was just that cheap little idler pulley and a belt, not the power-steering pump that failed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?