1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car Wheelie

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Equations of motion are to be derived to describe the motion of a car(rear wheel drive) at rest which then accelerates to perform a wheelie.

Basically, I need equations of motion that would help me determine the force that the rear wheels exert on the car in order to cause a wheelie.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have simplified the problem by assuming the car is a rectangle sliding on a horizontal surface with a horizontal force acting where the rectangle meets the surface.

This leads to the EOMs that I THINK are correct

[tex]\[F = m \ddot{x}\][/tex]
    [tex]\[N - mg = m \ddot{y}\][/tex]
    [tex]\[-mgLcos(\theta ) + NLcos(\theta ) = I \ddot{\theta }\][/tex]

I made a guess that I should sum moments about the edge where the force is applied.

The problem that I am having is that the equation for rotation contains 0 x-direction force terms, but it is obviously the x acceleration which causes the rotation.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted