Minimum Car Deceleration to Avoid Collision: Solving a Confusing Highway Problem

In summary, the sports car is traveling at 11.111 m/s and accelerating at 1 m/s^2, while your car is traveling at 27.777 m/s and is 100 m behind the sports car. To avoid a collision, your car must decelerate at a minimum rate of ? m/s^2.
MrRottenTreats
Question: You happen to be the one driving down the Highway that this person pulls in front of. You prepare to make a fast lane switch but are boxed in by a transport truck in the fast lane. Thus, you step on the brake pedal. You are traveling 27.777 .. m/s (100 km/h) and are 100 m behind the sports car when you begin to decelerate. The sports car is traveling 11.111 .. m/s (40 km/h) and is accelerating at 1 m/s^2. Solve for the minimum value of deceleration required by your car to just barely avoid a collision with the sports car.

i don't really know what to do.. i tried drawing a diagram to help, but its not working out for me, interpreting it.

Physics news on Phys.org
did u try it yet

yea, i got the sports car being:
v1 = 11.111 .. m/s
a = 1 m/s^2
d = d
t = t (same for both)

your car
v1 = 27.77 .. m/s
d = d - 100
t = t
a = ?

1. What is a car word problem?

A car word problem is a mathematical problem that involves the use of cars and their various characteristics, such as speed, distance, and time. These types of problems typically require the use of algebraic equations and formulas to solve.

2. Why are car word problems often confusing?

Car word problems can be confusing because they often involve multiple variables and require the use of algebraic equations. Additionally, the wording of the problem can be complex and may require careful reading and interpretation.

3. How can I solve a car word problem?

To solve a car word problem, first identify the given information and what is being asked. Then, use relevant formulas and equations to set up an algebraic expression. Finally, solve for the unknown variable using appropriate mathematical operations.

4. What are some tips for solving car word problems?

Some tips for solving car word problems include carefully reading and understanding the problem, identifying and organizing the given information, drawing a diagram or visualization to help understand the problem, and using appropriate formulas and equations to set up the problem.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving car word problems?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving car word problems include using the wrong formula or equation, misinterpreting the given information, and making calculation errors. It is important to double check your work and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.