CarA and B

• Thread starter roza-chan
  • Start date
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
car A goes from london to birmingham with 25m/s vilocity,car B goes from london to nottingham with 25m/s

2. Relevant equations
velocity=displacement/time

3. The attempt at a solution
are those two car's velocity equal?explain it

Doc Al

Mentor
Well, what do you think? Hint: What's the key difference between velocity and speed?

velocity has directions but speed doesn't have one......does this get to something?

Doc Al

Mentor
velocity has directions but speed doesn't have one......does this get to something?
Exactly. So ask yourself: Are the directions the same?

yeah they are both to north....so they are equal right?

Doc Al

Mentor
yeah they are both to north....so they are equal right?
I have no idea where Birmingham and Nottingham are, but if they are both exactly north of London then their displacements from London will have the same direction.

ya they are both in north of london,so if they are both going with 25m/s and both to north (same direction)so that means they are equal right?

Doc Al

Mentor
OK, I'm now looking at a map of the UK. I would say that neither city is directly North of London, and if I draw a displacement vector from London to each city, those vectors don't look parallel to me!

umm well ya one of them is more north and the other is a bit to east...and which mean they're not exactly the same direction..so it means they are not equal after all?

Doc Al

Mentor
umm well ya one of them is more north and the other is a bit to east...and which mean they're not exactly the same direction..so it means they are not equal after all?
That's what I would say. (More important than any particular answer is knowing the reasoning behind it.)

thanx alot for the help~~