Calculating Carbon-14 Activity for Archaeological Samples

• Thread starter tg22542
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Activity
In summary, the question is asking for the expected Carbon-14 activity (in counts/minute) for two different samples: a 1.0g sample of Carbon from a 4000-year-old Bristle pine cone and a 20g sample of carbon from a 10000 year old fireplace found in a cave in Europe. To solve this, we need to use the equation A = p(1/2)^(t/hl) where A is the C14 activity, p is the initial amount of C14, t is the time period, and hl is the half life of C14. By plugging in the given values for each sample, we can calculate the expected C14 activity in counts/minute.
tg22542

Homework Statement

1) What would you expect the Carbon-14 activity (in counts/minute) to be for a 1.0g sample of Carbon from a 4000-year-old Bristle pine cone?

2) What would you expect the Carbon-14 in counts/minute to be for a 20g sample of carbon from a 10000 year old fireplace found in a cave in Europe?

Homework Equations

No idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

For both questions I'm assuming I have to find Carbon-14's counts/min rate and then multiply it by 1.0g and 4000yrs to get my answer? My teacher assigned these without any equations which explains why I have none posted above. Can someone please help me get started on this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you multiply a frequency per unit mass (count/time-mass) by a mass you will get a frequency. If you then multiply it by a time period what will you get? What are the dimensions of the answer you're after?
To answer this question you have to understand why C14 levels in living cells are different from those of long dead ones. Try googling C14 dating.

When looking up C14 dating, pay attention to the half life of C14, and look for an exponential decaying function something like A = p(1/2)^(t/hl) . I'll leave it to you to figure out what the variables are.

1. What is carbon-14 activity and why is it important?

Carbon-14 activity is the measurement of the amount of carbon-14 (a radioactive isotope of carbon) in a sample. It is important because it can be used to determine the age of organic materials, such as fossils or artifacts.

2. How does carbon-14 activity decay over time?

Carbon-14 activity follows an exponential decay curve, meaning that the amount of carbon-14 in a sample decreases by half every 5,730 years.

3. How is carbon-14 activity measured?

Carbon-14 activity is measured using a technique called radiocarbon dating, which involves measuring the amount of carbon-14 in a sample and comparing it to the known decay rate of carbon-14.

4. What types of materials can be dated using carbon-14 activity?

Organic materials, such as wood, bone, and plant fibers, can be dated using carbon-14 activity. In order for carbon-14 dating to be accurate, the material must have been alive at some point in the past.

5. How accurate is carbon-14 activity in determining the age of a sample?

The accuracy of carbon-14 activity in determining the age of a sample depends on several factors, such as the amount of carbon-14 present in the sample and the calibration of the dating technique. Generally, radiocarbon dating can provide accurate dates up to 50,000 years ago.