Carbon-14, questions on how it is created

• Thread starter radagast
  • Start date
In summary, a PhD Nuclear Engineer explained to the speaker that the energy needed to form C14 from nitrogen is around 15 MEV and is believed to be formed in supernovas and survive due to relativistic time dilation. However, the speaker's BS meter is triggered and they seek confirmation. The speaker is informed that C14 is formed by cosmic rays hitting nitrogen molecules in the Earth's atmosphere, and that the continuous creation of C14 is necessary for carbon dating to work. The energy of 15 MEV is considered small compared to the energy of galactic cosmic rays.
radagast
This didn't work in 'How stuff works' so I'll try it here.

Some time back a friend (PhD Nuclear Engineer), told me that the energies a neutron needed to form C14 from nitrogen were (and this is where my memory gets real fuzzy) around 15 MEV. Furthermore that neither nuclear explosions or the Sun produced neutrons of this energy. The implications were they were formed in supernovas and survived due to relativistic time dialation.

This just seems to tickle my BS meter, but having no knowledge of nuclear physics, to speak of, I'd rather hear some confirmation of this before I go accepting it as likely or dismissing it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your BS meter may be working well. Carbon 14 dating works because a small fraction of the carbon dioxide we breathe is C14.

I believe the bulk of the C14 in the Earth's atmosphere is formed by cosmic rays hitting Nitrogen molecules in the Earth's atmosphere. When the Nitrogen atom decays it becomes carbon 14.

I don't have the chart of the nuclides with me to fill in the details but this is what I remember. If C14 weren't continuously created then the supply would be continuously decreasing and that would make carbon dating very difficult.

15 MeV is tiny amount compared to some of the enegies of galatic cosmic rays.

1. How is Carbon-14 created?

Carbon-14 is created in the Earth's upper atmosphere through a process called cosmic ray bombardment. When cosmic rays from outer space collide with nitrogen atoms in the atmosphere, it creates radiocarbon (Carbon-14) atoms.

2. How long does it take for Carbon-14 to be created?

The creation of Carbon-14 is an ongoing process and it is constantly being replenished in the atmosphere. However, the rate of creation is relatively stable and it takes about 5730 years for the number of Carbon-14 atoms to be halved through radioactive decay.

3. Can Carbon-14 be created artificially?

Yes, Carbon-14 can be created artificially in a laboratory through a process called nuclear transmutation. This involves bombarding a stable isotope of carbon with neutrons to create Carbon-14.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the creation of Carbon-14?

Yes, the creation of Carbon-14 can be affected by changes in the Earth's magnetic field or variations in the amount of cosmic rays reaching the Earth's atmosphere. Volcanic eruptions and solar activity can also influence the rate of creation.

5. What are some practical applications of Carbon-14 creation?

Carbon-14 creation has many practical applications, such as in radiocarbon dating to determine the age of organic materials, in medical research for radiocarbon-based imaging techniques, and in environmental studies to track the movement of carbon through various ecosystems.