Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carbon 60 radiation effects

1. Jul 27, 2010 #1
    What are the known or suggested effects of γ-radiation on carbon 60?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2010 #2
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  4. Jul 28, 2010 #3
    Each gram of Cobalt-60 will contain approximately 50 curies.

5. Jul 30, 2010 #4
    Your title says "Carbon 60".

Maybe this is making those with knowledge of Cobalt NOT look at the question of Carbon.
    I thought you might be talking about buckyballs.

Neil

6. Aug 18, 2010 #5
    You're completely correct Neil... I posted out of excitement. But I would like an answer kinda like that, for Carbon as stated in the title.

How much γ-radiation could Carbon 60 absorb before half-life decay became visible?
    I have seen tests of various radiation absorption on aluminum, tin, and lead, but never of C60 like materials, I know that when it was discovered it was hard to fabricate and very expensive, still is. I was thinking to make a deep space engine out of the material but it would cost nearly 5billion for the buckytubes in fluid alone by current prices. I was also considering an atmospheric production method, but I have no clue if that would be possible.
    Indeed a common name for Carbon 60 is buckyballs "The structure of C60 - buckminsterfullerene - is that of a truncated icosahedron, which resembles a round soccer ball of the type made of hexagons and pentagons, with a carbon atom at the corners of each hexagon and a bond along each edge." http://www.3dchem.com/moremolecules.asp?ID=217&othername=Buckminsterfullerene

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  7. Aug 18, 2010 #6
  8. Aug 18, 2010 #7

alxm

Science Advisor

C60 would ionize on gamma absorption, like most everything else. Buckyballs are chemically very stable on ionization.

I have no idea what you mean by "half-life decay". Absorbing gamma radiation doesn't affect nuclear decay. (Besides which, 99% of carbon is stable 12C)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook