1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carbon half life

1. Feb 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sample containing carbon-14 has 16000 decays per minute. If the half life of carbon-14 is 5730 years. Aproximately how many decays per minute would be occurring after another 50 000 years.

Answer: approximately 40 decays per minute.

2. Relevant equations

N= No x e^-λt
    T=in2/λ
    A= λN ( A is the decay rate of sample I.e number of decays per second)

3. The attempt at a solution

Calculated the value of λ first from in2/5730 and got 1.2 x 10^-4.

Then tried to plug it into A= λN and tried to get the value of N by substituting the first activity of 16000.

From here I am stuck because I realised even if I find N and plug it back into the formula I'll be getting the same result. Which makes me confused about the whole question because I would have thought that the decay rate would be constant for a particular sample.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2015 #2
    Hi,

Examining your given data, you are given a time rate of change, a half-life, and you want another time rate of change after a finite amount of time.

It looks like your first plan of action should be to find the initial amount of carbon-14 present, since that is a rather integral part of your equation. I'm not sure what mathematics you have covered, but the derivative of your function N(t) with respect to t will give you an expression for the rate of change at any time t (that's what your third equation looks to be, but with time set to 0).

Hope that helps!

4. Feb 15, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Wing, and a belated welcome to PF :smile:

"decay rate would be constant for a particular sample" may need some more explanation: what is constant is the probability that one single carbon-14 nucleus decays in a given time. The greater that probability, the more active a sample of a radioactive material. But the activity of a sample also depends on the number of carbon-14 nuclei in the sample, and that number decreases by 1 with every decay. So we write a differential equation for the decay rate (the number of decays per unit time) $${dN\over dt} = -\lambda N$$with the solution you indicate:$$N(t) = N_0 e^{-\lambda t}$$This can also be written as ##N(t) = N_0 e^{- t/\tau}## with ##\tau = 1/\lambda##, or as $$N(t) = N_0 \;2^{- t/\tau_{\scriptscriptstyle 1\over 2}}$$

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted