Why Should You Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Your Home?

• Thread starter Melveena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Carbon
In summary: The source of carbon monoxide in a home comes from many different sources. The most common sources are from the smoke from vehicles, cooking, and fires in the home. It is important to always have a carbon monoxide detector in every room of the house, including the bedroom. You can also get a combination smoke and CO detector. This will help to protect you and your family in the event that one of these sources of carbon monoxide poisoning starts in the home.
Melveena
Hi, all graduates and experts here. Being a civil engineer, I was about to create the plan for my new home in Ontario. When I consulted with my fellow engineers, they suggested having carbon monoxide detectors, inside my house as a part of increasing the security. I have already decided to place some home monitoring devices in my home so that I can monitor the safety even if I am away. I really doubt, what is the actual need of placing a carbon monoxide detector. Where does this much amount of CO come from my home? Edit by mod: Deleted link to blog. I read this informative blog suggested by an engineer. Initially, I had a misconception that the source of CO is only the smoke from the vehicles. But I realized that the woodstoves and fireplaces, charcoal grills, gas stoves, gas dryers, fuel-fired furnaces, and gas water heaters in our homes also release CO, which will be inhaled by us. So, I have decided to place a CO detector in my house and can you please help me finding a good one? How do this work and In which all places I can place it? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Melveena said:
Hi, all graduates and experts here.
I am by far not an expert on civil engineering, but I will still permit myself some common suggestions.
Melveena said:
I really doubt, what is the actual need of placing a carbon monoxide detector. Where does this much amount of CO come from my home? . I read this informative blog suggested by an engineer. Initially, I had a misconception that the source of CO is only the smoke from the vehicles. But I realized that the woodstoves and fireplaces, charcoal grills, gas stoves, gas dryers, fuel-fired furnaces, and gas water heaters in our homes also release CO, which will be inhaled by us.
Indeed, in my country CO poisoning is cause of tens of deadly accidents, hospitalizations and incidents of illness, the latter as a result of long-term exposure to low doses. (source: https://www.brandweer.nl/actueel/nieuws/?ActItmIdt=40976)

In my opinion, this is a underestimated problem and I think it is very good you are contemplating placing detectors. Also, please at all times provide enough ventilation with fresh outside air, specially in bed rooms. Now that houses are increasingly well isolated, this is even more important.
Melveena said:
So, I have decided to place a CO detector in my house and can you please help me finding a good one? How do this work and In which all places I can place it? Thanks in advance.
For advice on good detectors you could consult your local fire department or a reputable central heating installation company.

You should in any case place one in your bed room or in other rooms where you perhaps tend to take naps, like in a comfortable chair in the living room. Be sure the detector comes with an annoyingly noisy alarm.

Last edited:
Thank you so much :)

1. What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is toxic to humans and animals. It is produced by the incomplete burning of fossil fuels, such as gasoline, natural gas, oil, and wood.

2. How does carbon monoxide get into houses?

CO can enter a house through a variety of sources, such as faulty or poorly maintained fuel-burning appliances (furnaces, water heaters, stoves), blocked chimneys, car exhaust from attached garages, and using generators or grills inside the house.

3. What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Symptoms of CO poisoning can vary depending on the level of exposure, but can include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, confusion, and loss of consciousness. It can be fatal at high levels or with prolonged exposure.

4. How can I prevent carbon monoxide buildup in my house?

The best way to prevent CO buildup is to install carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your house and outside of sleeping areas. It is also important to have fuel-burning appliances regularly inspected and maintained by a professional, and to never use generators or grills inside the house.

5. What should I do if my carbon monoxide detector goes off?

If your carbon monoxide detector goes off, leave the house immediately and call 911. Do not try to find the source of the CO or open windows/doors to ventilate the house. Seek medical attention if you or anyone in the house is experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning.