Carbon Nanotubes: Current Research & Sources

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of carbon nanotubes, their history, uses, and research in the field. Sources for information, including websites and books, are mentioned, as well as the use of quantum mechanics in computation. One participant mentions their experience with MD modeling of carbon nanotubes, while another mentions the use of this technology in creating a receiver. Overall, the conversation highlights the recent developments and advancements in the field of carbon nanotubes.
staf9
[SOLVED] Carbon Nanotubes

I'm doing some work with carbon nanotubes, their history, their uses, technology that incorporate them, and generally looking into the field.

Can anyone tell me any reputable sources for information regarding current research in carbon nanotubes? Are there any regulars on this board who are well versed with CNT research?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I believe wikipedia had a nice overlook of nanotechnology when I looked over that a while ago, and nanotechnology is primarily focusing around CNT's at the moment.

I think the general idea behind CNT's is that the extremely small scale being worked with will take advantage of quantum mechanical phenomina that will not be visible in macromolecular substances and therefore these effects can be used as a method of computation or something, since quantum mechanical effects, although weird in all their non-determanisticness have mountains of mathematical literature that make their systems somewhat more predictable.

Wouldn't say "well versed" but do some carbon nanotubes associated work primarily related to MD modeling of their properties. More so to do with MD potentials of carbon as an alloying element and how it affects properties overall in its many forms & roles in more 'traditional' materials.

There are a number of books about the topic, personally have used Harris' book as an introductory general reference during the last few years, although if you take a look at any web-store you'll see that there are a number of recent (06-07) volumes about their properties, applications and computational means used to study and develop them. There a number of review articles published during the last few years about carbon nanotubes, not perhaps quite as comprehensive as your typical "review" of a topic due to the freshness of the field, but reviews no matter (sciencedirect, google scholar are nice aids here).

Thanks very much! Checked out scholar.google.com and found some papers that are a great help, also checked out wikipedia which I didn't expect to have such an extensive entry for carbon nanotubes

Well I have heard that they have made a whole receiver with this technology. Cool stuff. If I may ask, what work are you doing in this area. Side note, I know UCSD is working in this area.

1. What are carbon nanotubes?

Carbon nanotubes are cylindrical molecules made of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal pattern. They have a diameter of only a few nanometers and can be several millimeters in length. They are known for their strength, light weight, and unique electronic properties.

2. How are carbon nanotubes produced?

There are several methods for producing carbon nanotubes, including chemical vapor deposition, arc discharge, and laser ablation. These methods involve heating carbon-containing materials to high temperatures in the presence of a catalyst, which causes the carbon atoms to form nanotubes.

3. What are some current applications of carbon nanotubes?

Carbon nanotubes have a wide range of potential applications, including in electronics, energy storage, and medicine. They are being studied for use in transistors, batteries, and drug delivery systems, among other things.

4. What are the potential risks associated with carbon nanotubes?

Some studies have shown that certain types of carbon nanotubes may have toxic effects on cells and animals. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential risks and how to mitigate them in various applications.

5. Where can I find more information about carbon nanotubes?

There are numerous sources for information about carbon nanotubes, including scientific journals, books, and online resources. Some reputable sources include the National Nanotechnology Initiative, the American Chemical Society, and peer-reviewed research articles. It is important to critically evaluate the source and consider the credibility of the information presented.