Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carboxylic acid

1. Jul 11, 2016 #1
    In any simple carboxylic acid there are two oxygen atoms then i have a confusion that which oxygen has more negative charge on it or which one has the most electron density on it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

They are equivalent due to resonance, plus the carboxylic group freely rotates around the single bond - so it doesn't matter.

4. Jul 12, 2016 #3
    But in mechanism of esterification in presence of an acid...the proton attacks tje double bonded oxygen

5. Jul 12, 2016 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Once the carboxylic group becomes protonated (in other words: is not dissociated) it is no longer symmetrical (no resonance). Which oxygen becomes protonated is in most cases completely random. But it still doesn't matter to which oxygen the H is attached, as the group can freely rotate around "carbon-rest of the molecule" bond, so the final product will be exactly the same.

6. Jul 12, 2016 #5

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm assuming you're talking about acidic Fischer esterification, but it's hard to tell from your question what step is tripping you up. Since the environment is acidic, the carboxyl is going to be overwhelmingly neutral. However, the key intermediate in the reaction is a doubly protonated carboxyl group. Both oxygens become protonated and the two OH groups attached to the carboxyl carbocation draw a lot of electron density away from this carbon. The carbocation therefore has a significant partial positive charge which is readily attacked by a nucleophile (in the case of esterification, the nucleophile is the oxygen on a hydroxyl group). The link below gives a good overview:

http://www.organic-chemistry.org/namedreactions/fischer-esterification.shtm

The carbocation intermediate that I referred to is given by the resonance structure in the first set of brackets.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted