Cardboard boat building for AP Physics help

In summary, the conversation is about seeking advice for building a cardboard boat for a school racing event. Some ideas mentioned include balancing the boat, maximizing water resistance and reducing forward facing resistance. Additional suggestions include looking at designs of Greek triremes and considering factors such as power, speed, and course. A collection of articles on the topic is also recommended.
Tokimasa
Can anyone provide advice for this? We will be putting them in the school's pool and racing them. But I really want some advice.

(1) Formulas to find if the boat will float or sink (we'll be able to make measurements and stuff).

(2) Plan ideas.

(3) Stuff to focus on in building.

We only have cardboard. It needs to be 8 feet long (max) and 6 feet wide (or somehow fit through a normal doorwar). We can use tape to only seal up places where we put together two pieces of cardboard. So...help?!

Physics news on Phys.org
A few things that spring to my mind:

Balance: A boat that is small but tall will topple. reduce height to weight ratio
Water resistance: If too much of the boat is below water you'll get more resistance. Look at how to maximise the volume of the boat
Foward facing resistance: Make the boat too wide and it will go slower than one that's narrower.

Can't think of much else

Google greek triremes. They were a pretty simple design that worked. I reckon you could make one out of cardboard.

How is it powered? Will you have enough power to plane? Expected maximum speed? Any passengers? Is the course straight or will you need to turn?

Here's a great collection of articles - keep scrolling for many more.

Related to Cardboard boat building for AP Physics help

1. What is cardboard boat building for AP Physics?

Cardboard boat building for AP Physics is a project where students use principles of physics to design and build a cardboard boat that can float and hold the weight of one or more people. It is a hands-on activity that helps students understand concepts such as buoyancy, stability, and forces.

2. What materials do I need for cardboard boat building?

The main material you will need is cardboard, preferably corrugated cardboard. You will also need duct tape, scissors, a ruler, and a pen or pencil. Optional materials include paint or markers for decoration, and a tarp or plastic sheet to protect your workspace.

3. How do I design a cardboard boat for AP Physics?

The design of your boat should be based on the principles of buoyancy and stability. You can start by sketching out different shapes and sizes, and then use formulas and calculations to determine the best design. Make sure to consider the weight of the boat, the weight of the passengers, and the distribution of weight.

4. What are some tips for building a successful cardboard boat?

Some tips for building a successful cardboard boat include using multiple layers of cardboard for added strength, reinforcing the seams with duct tape, and creating a pointed or curved shape at the front of the boat to help it move through the water more easily. It is also important to test your boat in a pool or bathtub before the final competition.

5. Can I work in a team for cardboard boat building for AP Physics?

Yes, working in a team is encouraged for this project. It allows students to collaborate and share ideas, as well as distribute tasks for more efficient construction. Just make sure that each team member understands the physics behind the boat design and can explain it during the final competition.