Solving Dave's Cardboard Contact Force Problem

• Thread starter capridece
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Contact
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a person jumping onto cardboard boxes. The equations used to solve the problem differ in using either x or y, but it is suggested to use general kinematics instead of plugging in exact numbers. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to find the unknown y by figuring out the person's initial acceleration.
capridece
Hi this is a problem from my midterm at the beginning of the quarter and i have a final coming up so i need to know the previous midterm material but i still don't understand this one question.

Dave suddenly drops from the wire and lands at a velocity of 2m/s on some cardboard boxes that contract to absorb the force of his fall. If the cardboard boxes exerts a force of 350N on Dave who weighs 70kg, how much do the cardboard boxes contract?

the equation i would use is v^2=vo^2 - 2adelta y

but in her solutions she shoes delta x. Why is it delta x if the cardboard is going to be contracting in the y direction?

If someone can help me start off this problem i will so grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
Off the top of my mind, I think her equations are supposed to be general. You can substitute delta y for delta x. If you continue on with that assumption, does it get you the right answer?

yeah that's what i thought too but there are two equations, one for x and one for y and they differ.

v^2 = Vo^2+2adelta x

v^2 = Vo^2-2gdelta y

in x you add, in y you subtract

That's general kinematics. You can't just plug in the exact numbers for the exact equations and hope for the best. At what rate is David accelerating when he jumps off? I assume that his initial vertical v is zero. If you figure that out, you can find the unknown y.

nvm i think youre right. It was just difficult for me to apply the force and the mass to the equation. I thought gravity would be used instead.

1. What is the purpose of solving Dave's Cardboard Contact Force Problem?

The purpose of solving Dave's Cardboard Contact Force Problem is to determine the amount of force required to hold a stack of cardboard boxes in place without them toppling over.

2. How do you solve Dave's Cardboard Contact Force Problem?

To solve Dave's Cardboard Contact Force Problem, you must first calculate the weight of the boxes and the coefficient of friction between the surface and the bottom of the boxes. Then, using the formula F = μmg, where F is the contact force, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the boxes, and g is the acceleration due to gravity, you can determine the required force to keep the boxes from sliding.

3. What factors can affect the contact force in Dave's Cardboard Contact Force Problem?

The factors that can affect the contact force in Dave's Cardboard Contact Force Problem include the weight and number of boxes, the coefficient of friction between the surface and the boxes, and any external forces acting on the boxes such as wind or vibrations.

4. Can the contact force change over time in Dave's Cardboard Contact Force Problem?

Yes, the contact force can change over time in Dave's Cardboard Contact Force Problem. If the coefficient of friction changes due to temperature or humidity, or if the weight or number of boxes changes, the contact force will also change.

5. How can solving Dave's Cardboard Contact Force Problem be useful in real-world applications?

Solving Dave's Cardboard Contact Force Problem can be useful in real-world applications such as designing packaging for fragile items, constructing structures that need to support heavy loads, or determining the force required to keep objects from sliding on various surfaces.