Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cardiac Cycle, Tissue Fluid and Oxygen Dissociation Curve

1. Dec 6, 2003 #1
    Hello people I am currently having problems doing my AS exam paper. Can you please help?

The question is:

During the cardiac cycle, the pressure in the left ventricle falls to a much lower level than in the aorta. Give an explanation for this difference?

I have no idea about this because we were not taught about this.

The second question was:

How the effect of temperature on the oxygen dissociation curve of haemoglobin might be advantageous to mammals?

The third question was:

State two features of capillaries that enable tissue fluid to be formed:

I only can think of one: Basement membrane is permeable so plasma can escape from the blood.

The third question was:

It is estimated that 85% of tissue fluid is reabsorbed at the venous end of a capillary. Describe what happens to the remaining tissue fluid.

It is a three-mark question: but I put:
    The rest of tissue fluid is drained into the lymphatic system throught he lymph capillaries. And some fluid bathe the cells.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2003 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, what is the volume of the left ventricle and what is the diameter of the aorta? The aorta is smaller, thus the pressure will be higher.

The dissociation must have the best value for take-up and give-off of oxygen at 37oC?

Uhm, let me think. This was way back.. there is something to do with proteins.. First plasma can escape from the blood, but it has to be resorbed to the blood later. Proteins are essential in this process, that is what causes those swollen hunger-bellies.

The lymphatic system takes care of it, you are right.

4. Dec 18, 2003 #3
    Thanks a lot for your help, it was very useful!:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?