1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cardinal Splines

1. Jul 22, 2007 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to draw a Cardinal Spline and understand them - however I can't get my head around the formula.

Now, after lots of research I keep coming back to this formula:

Ti = a * (Pi+1 - Pi-1 )

taken from this page(there's a similar one on Wikipedia): http://cubic.org/docs/hermite.htm

However I don't understand how that formula can provide a tangent. In the past all the formulae I have used have been of function types where I'd put through say the X co-ordinate and it would tell me the Y co-ordinate.

Can someone please provide a better explanation as to how I use it please?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2007 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

I think maybe you are looking for a physical interpretation of the formula and how that relates to the slope at the free end. It might help to break P into its' x & y components:

Tix = a * ( xi+1 - xi-1)
    Tiy = a * ( yi+1 - yi-1)

In a parametric curve, the slope of the curve is dy/dx = (dy/ds) / (dx/ds). The formulas above represent (dy/ds) and (dx/ds). I hope this helps.

With splines, the end points are arbitrarily chosen by the person implementing them. I can freely choose to say T1 = -42 and T2 = 0.4 and have a perfectly valid spline. It doesn't really matter how I derived them. In the case of cardinal splines, they provide a special mechanism (a control point and tension parameter) as a convenient way to specify the end condition.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?