Is Cardinality of Empty Set an Axiom or Can it be Proven?

In summary: A. The cardinality of the set is definedB. The cardinality of the set is not the empty setBy definition, the cardinality of any finite set is the number of elements.
aaaa202
Is 0 I am told. Is this an axiom, or can it be proven?

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither; it is part of the definition of cardinality (the cardinality of the empty set is defined to be 0). If it was defined to be any other number, or left undefined, then (among other problems) the equality ## \mid A \cup B \mid = \mid A \mid + \mid B \mid - \mid A \cap B \mid ## would not hold if ## A ## or ## B ## is the empty set.

Last edited:
By definition, the cardinality of any finite set is the number of elements.

mathman said:
By definition, the cardinality of any finite set is the number of elements.

I thought that by definition the cardinality of any finite set that is not the empty set is the lowest ordinal number ## N ## such that there exists a bijection between the set and ## \{ 1, 2, ... N \} ##? This definition cannot be used for the empty set because no such bijection exists.

If you define the cardinality of a set as the number of elements, how do you define the number of elements?

Oops, I managed to conflate two alternative definitions there:
  1. the cardinality of any finite set that is not the empty set is the ordinal number ## N ## such that there exists a bijection between the set and ## \{ 1, 2, ... N \} ##
  2. the cardinality of any finite set that is not the empty set is the lowest ordinal number ## N ## such that there exists a injection of the set into ## \{ 1, 2, ... N \} ##

Last edited:
Let me try to be more precise about what worries me about the cardinality of the empty set. A set X is countable if there exists an injection from X to N. So is the empty set countable? Well clearly if we define it to be 0, less than the cardinality of the empty set. But then in some exercise I did today, I used this property to conclude something about a set. When a definition is used in this way, what is then the difference between it being a definition and an axiom?

There's a collection of sets which are called cardinal sets. I won't define a cardinal in general, but the finite ones are defined like:
- [itex]0:=\emptyset[/itex]
- [itex]1:= 0 \cup \{0\} = \{\emptyset\}[/itex]
-[itex]2:= 1 \cup \{1\} = \{\emptyset, \{\emptyset\} \}[/itex]
-[itex]k+1:=k\cup \{k\}[/itex]

We name these things like numbers, but they're just sets like any other.

By definition, a set [itex]A[/itex] has cardinality [itex]\kappa[/itex] if [itex]\kappa[/itex] is a cardinal set and there exists a bijection between [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]\kappa[/itex]. In our case, there is a bijection between [itex]\emptyset[/itex] and [itex]0=\emptyset[/itex], so we're good.

economicsnerd said:
In our case, there is a bijection between [itex]\emptyset[/itex] and [itex]0=\emptyset[/itex], so we're good.

Boy, have I heard people go round and round as to whether there is a bijection of [itex]\emptyset[/itex] to itself. You're correct, of course, but unless you are going to be very formal about your set theory, I think mathman has it right. Thus 0 is correct by definition.

Last edited by a moderator:
economicsnerd said:
There's a collection of sets which are called cardinal sets. I won't define a cardinal in general, but the finite ones are defined like:
- [itex]0:=\emptyset[/itex].

You have just defined the cardinality of the empty set to be 0, there is no need to start looking for a bijection.

aaaa202 said:
Let me try to be more precise about what worries me about the cardinality of the empty set. A set X is countable if there exists an injection from X to N. So is the empty set countable?

Why don't you try to prove or disprove it? There is only one function (the empty function) to check.

economicsnerd said:
- [itex]0:=\emptyset[/itex]
- [itex]1:= 0 \cup \{0\} = \{\emptyset\}[/itex]
-[itex]2:= 1 \cup \{1\} = \{\emptyset, \{\emptyset\} \}[/itex]
-[itex]k+1:=k\cup \{k\}[/itex]

We name these things like numbers, but they're just sets like any other.

By definition, a set [itex]A[/itex] has cardinality [itex]\kappa[/itex] if [itex]\kappa[/itex] is a cardinal set and there exists a bijection between [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]\kappa[/itex]. In our case, there is a bijection between [itex]\emptyset[/itex] and [itex]0=\emptyset[/itex], so we're good.

I have two questions:
1. Why doesn't $$1\cup \{1\} = \{\{\emptyset\}, \{\{\emptyset\}\} \}?$$
2. Given MrAnchovy's response, are you happy with the confusion you've sown?

MrAnchovy said:
Neither; it is part of the definition of cardinality (the cardinality of the empty set is defined to be 0). If it was defined to be any other number, or left undefined, then (among other problems) the equality ## \mid A \cup B \mid = \mid A \mid + \mid B \mid - \mid A \cap B \mid ## would not hold if ## A ## or ## B ## is the empty set.

This equation ALWAYS holds if A or B is the empty set, no matter how caridinality is defined for ANY set

willem2 said:
This equation ALWAYS holds if A or B is the empty set, no matter how caridinality is defined for ANY set

Oops - good point! How about...

Neither; it is part of the definition of cardinality (the cardinality of the empty set is defined to be 0). If it was defined to be any other number, or left undefined, then (among other problems) the equality ## \mid A \cup B \mid = \mid A \mid + \mid B \mid ## for disjoint sets ## A, B ## would not hold if ## A ## or ## B ## is the empty set.

Zafa Pi said:
I have two questions:
1. Why doesn't $$1\cup \{1\} = \{\{\emptyset\}, \{\{\emptyset\}\} \}?$$
2. Given MrAnchovy's response, are you happy with the confusion you've sown?

1) If you'll let me be a bit pedantic... [itex]x\in 1\cup\{1\} \iff x \in 1 \text{ or } x \in \{1\} \iff x \in \{\emptyset\} \text{ or } x \in \{1\} \iff x=\emptyset \text{ or } x=1=\{\emptyset\} \iff x\in \{\emptyset, \{\emptyset\}\}[/itex]. Therefore, [itex]1\cup\{1\}=\{\emptyset, \{\emptyset\}\}[/itex]

2) You're totally right. I thought I was clarifying things by explaining that "cardinality=0" and "cardinality=4" are in some sense more primitive definitions than "the cardinality of a set". It was my mistake.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the cardinality of an empty set?

The cardinality of an empty set is 0. This means that the empty set contains no elements.

2. How is the cardinality of an empty set determined?

The cardinality of an empty set is determined by counting the number of elements in the set. Since the empty set has no elements, its cardinality is 0.

3. Is the cardinality of an empty set always 0?

Yes, the cardinality of an empty set is always 0. This is because the empty set contains no elements, so there is nothing to count.

4. Can an empty set have a different cardinality?

No, an empty set can only have a cardinality of 0. This is a fundamental mathematical property of the empty set.

5. Why is the cardinality of an empty set important?

The cardinality of an empty set is important because it is used as a basis for defining other sets, such as the natural numbers. It also plays a role in set operations and can help clarify the differences between finite and infinite sets.