Cardinality of infinite sets

• Thread starter rideabike
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Prove that if A,B, and C are nonempty sets such that A [itex]\subseteq[/itex] B [itex]\subseteq[/itex] C and |A|=|C|, then |A|=|B|

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume B [itex]\subset[/itex] C and A [itex]\subset[/itex] B (else A=B or B=C), and there must be a bijection f:A[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]C...

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Prove that if A,B, and C are nonempty sets such that A [itex]\subseteq[/itex] B [itex]\subseteq[/itex] C and |A|=|C|, then |A|=|B|

Assume B [itex]\subset[/itex] C and A [itex]\subset[/itex] B (else A=B or B=C), and there must be a bijection f:A[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]C...
So far you are just stating what the problem told you. Don't you have some theorems you might apply?

Homework Statement

Why not start with the given condition, that A [itex]\subseteq[/itex] B [itex]\subseteq[/itex] C and |A|=|C|?

So far you are just stating what the problem told you. Don't you have some theorems you might apply?
I know, I don't really know where to start. Schroder-Bernstein maybe?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I know, I don't really know where to start. Schroder-Bernstein maybe?
That's the one! Try and apply it. Here's a hint. If A is subset of B, then there's an injection from A into B, right?

Last edited:
That's the one! Try and apply it. Here's a hint. If A is subset of B, then there's an injection from A into B, right?
Right. And we want to show there's an injection from B to A. Would it be that since there's an injection from B to C and and injection from C to A, there must be an injection from B to A?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Right. And we want to show there's an injection from B to A. Would it be that since there's an injection from B to C and and injection from C to A, there must be an injection from B to A?
Sure. That's wasn't so hard, was it? You might want to spell out some of the details, like what the actual injections are in terms of your bijection f:A->C. But that's the idea.