1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cardinality of the set of well-orderings on N

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How many different ways can one well-order the natural numbers? Different orders are those which are NOT order isomorphic.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My approach thus far has been to examine a well-ordering on N. Clearly, any well-ordering is one that satisfies that our well ordering P(a,b), returns an element for the pair (a,b) for a,b in N where the value returned is the least element of the pair. So it must be the case that any well-ordering is at the very least a function from NxN into N. We can take it as known (by a previous problem I solved) that the cardinality of the set of functions from NxN into N [ denoted as N^(NxN) ] is the same as the cardinality of (N^N)^N or the cardinality of R. My problem here is that the set of orderings I have are all linear orders. I seem to think that the set of P that I have define well-orderings as well but I'm not sure that I'm even right or if I am correct, how to show that rigorously. Does anyone have any thoughts on this approach I'm taking to the problem?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted