Cards Probability Question

In summary, the problem involves 10 cards, 5 of which are red and 5 are green, being placed randomly in 10 envelopes, also with 5 red and 5 green envelopes. The task is to determine the probability of exactly 2 envelopes containing a card with a matching color. The size of the sample space is 14C5 multiplied by 14C5, and there are 25 ways to select two envelopes of different colors. The probability is calculated using the hypergeometric distribution, resulting in the final answer of 25 x (8C4+7C3+6C2+5C1+1)^2 over (14C5)^2.
PhysViti

Homework Statement

Suppose that 10 cards, of which 5 are red and 5 are green, are placed at random in 10 envelopes, of which 5 are red and 5 are green. Determine the probability that EXACTLY two envelopes will contain a card with a matching color.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the size of the sample space is 14C5 X 14C5. I know that there are 5X5=25 ways to select two envelopes of different colors. If there is only one red card in the red envelope, then the other red cards must be located in the green envelopes (since the problem specifies "exactly") with 8C4 possible ways. For all the cases:

1 red: 8C4
2 red: 7C3
3 red: 6C2
4 red: 5C1
5 red: 1

Therefore, there are 8C4+7C3+6C2+5C1+1 ways to satisfy the red card in red envelope condition. The same number of ways holds for the green card in the green envelope condition.

So, in all, there are 25 X (8C4+7C3+6C2+5C1+1)^2 events in the sample space that satisfy the problem's constraints. So, the probability is just the latter number over (14C5)^2.

How wrong is my answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I would look at the problem this way. Just take 5 red envelopes. Selecting 5 cards at random from the 10, what is the probability of getting exactly 1 red? Looks like a hypergeometric distribution to me.

1. What is the probability of drawing a diamond from a deck of cards?

The probability of drawing a diamond from a deck of cards is 1 in 4, or 25%. This is because there are 13 diamonds in a deck of 52 cards, making the chances of drawing a diamond 13 out of 52.

2. What is the probability of drawing a face card from a deck of cards?

The probability of drawing a face card (Jack, Queen, or King) from a deck of cards is 3 in 13, or approximately 23%. This is because there are 12 face cards in a deck of 52 cards (4 Jacks, 4 Queens, and 4 Kings), making the chances of drawing a face card 12 out of 52.

3. If two cards are drawn from a deck of cards, what is the probability of getting two red cards?

The probability of getting two red cards when drawing two cards from a deck is 1 in 4, or 25%. This is because the first card has a 26 out of 52 chance of being red (half of the deck), and the second card has a 25 out of 51 chance of being red (since one red card has already been drawn).

4. What is the probability of drawing a heart or a spade from a deck of cards?

The probability of drawing a heart or a spade from a deck of cards is 1 in 2, or 50%. This is because there are 26 red cards (13 hearts and 13 diamonds) and 26 black cards (13 spades and 13 clubs) in a deck of 52 cards, making the chances of drawing a heart or a spade 26 out of 52.

5. If three cards are drawn from a deck of cards, what is the probability that all three are the same suit?

The probability of drawing three cards of the same suit from a deck of cards is 1 in 4, or 25%. This is because the first card can be any suit (4 out of 4), the second card has a 1 out of 4 chance of being the same suit as the first, and the third card has a 1 out of 4 chance of being the same suit as the first and second. Therefore, the probability is 4 out of 4 times 1 out of 4 times 1 out of 4, which equals 1 out of 64 or approximately 1.56%.