Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Care and feeding of an epiphyte

1. Jan 14, 2015 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I've had epiphytes before. Supposedly they don't need watering, but then when I read the instructions, it says I'm supposed to drown it and then let it dry out. Tried that once, and killed it off.

So now I've got an epiphyte as a Christmas ornament. It's in a 4" glass ball with open sides, sitting on a little bit of driftwood.

Do I water it? Soak it?
    I guess I don't put it away with the ornaments.
    How much light/warmth does it need?
    Do I hang it in the (full shade) window?
    If it wants warmth, will the window be too cold in the winter?
    Do I leave it in our (dim) living room?

409318_330871713611827_2029721452_n.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Dave, I don't have a clue about your question, but I find the whole concept of epiphytes interesting. I don't recall having heard the word before but I immediately recognized the main characteristic that it is on something but doesn't feed from it, just uses it as a platform. I have a question for you though; is the driftwood that it's on pretty much devoid of moisture? For some reason, I though these things needed a platform that had some inherent moisture, but it listed moss as an example, and since that grows on rocks, I was clearly mistaken.

That's a nifty looking little plant.

4. Jan 14, 2015 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I was in fact mistaken. It is not on driftwood, but moss.

5. Jan 14, 2015 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I used to raise the whole range of these, a lot of bromeliads. Just lightly water them when they feel dry. You might want to lightly mist them, the ends of yours are drying out and dying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphyte

6. Jan 14, 2015 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Thx. I got a little spray bottle.

BTW, that's not mine. It's a Googled pic of the same type.

7. Jan 14, 2015 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oh good!

8. Jan 15, 2015 #7
    Plants like this tend to be environment-friendly. I would leave them inside the living room to keep the room air fresher.

9. Jan 15, 2015 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, it's teeny - barely one cubic inch.

I'm more concerned about what's best for the plant.

10. Jan 15, 2015 #9
    Look at its leaves, it tells you that it may not need a lot of water, the tiny hairs on their leaves are to catch and keep moisture and water in the air, that also means it doesn't need a lot of sunlight. For decoration, I would hang it in the kitchen near the windows where it can see the natural light from the outside and get itself activated on pollutant filtering purpose.

11. Jan 16, 2015 #10
    My wife (the plant guru) has 3 of these things, in glass globes with holes in them. The plants are on/in some kind of rocky material. They live in our kitchen hanging above the sink and out of direct sunlight. She mists them about once a week in the winter and maybe every other week in the summer. Hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook