Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Care & feeding of Bettas

1. Apr 24, 2006 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I have a friend who got a Betta as a pet for her child. It's in a little 1-2L container with a small light. I know it's not the best, but that's beyond my control. (I would put a heater and an aerator in there.)

I'm comfortable looking after Bettas myself, but I know from my own experience that sometimes they are prone to diseases from water quality and from low temps.

She wants advice, and I want to keep it alive. I'm checking on feeding and water changes.

Question at hand:

The fish has gotten that unusual teardrop shape that I see Bettas sometimes get (see attached sketch). It used to be more fish-shaped but now its belly bulges more, while its caudal peduncle (tail area) has gotten thinner. It was not me that noticed this, it was my friend, so it's enough for her to notice a change.

It is not bulging appreciably, I've had Bettas that bulge. It is a *smooth* bulge, so not a tapeworm. I'm just not sure if this is normal or if this is the onset of disease (bloating).

As far as I can tell, It does NOT have dropsy (i.e. pineconing scales).

Otherise, it looks quite healthy: active, alert, erect fins, eating.

Could this be simply over- or under-feeding?

What think? Am I borrowing trouble?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That's how my fish looked when they were having babies.

I guess you've already checked online for similar symptoms?

4. Apr 24, 2006 #3
    My betta that I've had for two years died last night :(

5. Apr 24, 2006 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm so sorry, they're so pretty. Had it been sick?

6. Apr 24, 2006 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I think it dies of old age. Isn't the life span of a captive Betta only about 2 years?

7. Apr 24, 2006 #6
    Not sure, it was acting fine up until a few days ago and then dead.

8. Apr 24, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was my first thought. Are Betta's live-bearing? It could have been bought pregnant and is just starting to show it? Otherwise, I don't know much about fish other than how to cook them. :uhh: It's not just a natural variation that shows up as they mature, is it?

9. Apr 24, 2006 #8
    betta males make a bubble nest first, then the females lays the eggs, which sink to the bottom. The male takes the eggs and blows them into the bubble nest. So if she with eggs, they won't survive. One the good side..she will live and live a normal healthy life.

You can get really cheap good 1 gallon takes at walmarts..compleat with everything you need. But bettas can live a long time in the little bowls, with weekly water changes.

10. Apr 26, 2006 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Hey, back to my question!

Any armchair vets here want to take a crack at it? Would a pic help?

11. Apr 26, 2006 #10

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Hmmmmm, kinda tough to diagnose without being able to watch the fish. Was the fish purchased at approx. full adult size? Perhaps he has simply grown into his adult body shape. There must be some pretty good inbreeding to achieve the variety of color and fin patterns that these fish exhibit so maybe it's a corrollary to that. If is continues to behave normally, there's probably no reason to be concerned. You could try a more varied diet including more meaty foods like ground beef heart and brine shrimp, these fish do well on that type of diet.

12. Apr 26, 2006 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

"Hmmmmm, kinda tough to diagnose without being able to watch the fish. Was the fish purchased at approx. full adult size? Perhaps he has simply grown into his adult body shape."
    It's only been a couple of months, and the fish changed enough for mommy to notice and ask about it.

She's feeding it "pellets" (Betta bits?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?