Do Bettas sometimes get a teardrop shape and what could be causing it?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the fish in question is displaying unusual teardrop shape, thinning caudal peduncle, and smooth bulge. The fish is not bulging appreciably, so it is not a tapeworm. The fish is active and alert, eating normally, and does not have dropsy. Bettas typically live for two years, so there is no need to be concerned at this point.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I have a friend who got a Betta as a pet for her child. It's in a little 1-2L container with a small light. I know it's not the best, but that's beyond my control. (I would put a heater and an aerator in there.)

I'm comfortable looking after Bettas myself, but I know from my own experience that sometimes they are prone to diseases from water quality and from low temps.

She wants advice, and I want to keep it alive. I'm checking on feeding and water changes.

Question at hand:

The fish has gotten that unusual teardrop shape that I see Bettas sometimes get (see attached sketch). It used to be more fish-shaped but now its belly bulges more, while its caudal peduncle (tail area) has gotten thinner. It was not me that noticed this, it was my friend, so it's enough for her to notice a change.

It is not bulging appreciably, I've had Bettas that bulge. It is a *smooth* bulge, so not a tapeworm. I'm just not sure if this is normal or if this is the onset of disease (bloating).

As far as I can tell, It does NOT have dropsy (i.e. pineconing scales).

Otherise, it looks quite healthy: active, alert, erect fins, eating.

Could this be simply over- or under-feeding?

What think? Am I borrowing trouble?

Attachments

• bettas.gif
    bettas.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's how my fish looked when they were having babies.

I guess you've already checked online for similar symptoms?

My betta that I've had for two years died last night :(

Greg Bernhardt said:
My betta that I've had for two years died last night :(
I'm so sorry, they're so pretty. Had it been sick?

I think it dies of old age. Isn't the life span of a captive Betta only about 2 years?

Evo said:
I'm so sorry, they're so pretty. Had it been sick?

Not sure, it was acting fine up until a few days ago and then dead.

Evo said:
That's how my fish looked when they were having babies.
That was my first thought. Are Betta's live-bearing? It could have been bought pregnant and is just starting to show it? Otherwise, I don't know much about fish other than how to cook them. :uhh: It's not just a natural variation that shows up as they mature, is it?

betta males make a bubble nest first, then the females lays the eggs, which sink to the bottom. The male takes the eggs and blows them into the bubble nest. So if she with eggs, they won't survive. One the good side..she will live and live a normal healthy life.

You can get really cheap good 1 gallon takes at walmarts..compleat with everything you need. But bettas can live a long time in the little bowls, with weekly water changes.

Hey, back to my question!

Any armchair vets here want to take a crack at it? Would a pic help?

Hmmmmm, kinda tough to diagnose without being able to watch the fish. Was the fish purchased at approx. full adult size? Perhaps he has simply grown into his adult body shape. There must be some pretty good inbreeding to achieve the variety of color and fin patterns that these fish exhibit so maybe it's a corrollary to that. If is continues to behave normally, there's probably no reason to be concerned. You could try a more varied diet including more meaty foods like ground beef heart and brine shrimp, these fish do well on that type of diet.

"Hmmmmm, kinda tough to diagnose without being able to watch the fish. Was the fish purchased at approx. full adult size? Perhaps he has simply grown into his adult body shape."
It's only been a couple of months, and the fish changed enough for mommy to notice and ask about it.

She's feeding it "pellets" (Betta bits?)

1. How often should I feed my betta fish?

Betta fish should be fed once or twice a day, with a few pellets or flakes per feeding. Avoid overfeeding as it can lead to health issues.

2. What is the best type of food for betta fish?

Betta fish thrive on a diet of high-quality pellets or flakes specifically made for bettas. They can also be fed frozen or live foods such as bloodworms or brine shrimp as a treat, but these should not be their main source of food.

3. Do bettas need a filter in their tank?

Yes, bettas do need a filter in their tank to maintain water quality and provide proper aeration. However, make sure to choose a filter with a gentle flow as bettas do not like strong currents.

4. How often should I change the water in my betta's tank?

The water in a betta's tank should be changed once a week, or every other week if the tank has a filter. It is important to remove any uneaten food and waste from the tank to maintain good water quality.

5. Can bettas live with other fish?

Bettas are known for their aggressive nature and should not be kept with other bettas or fish that resemble them, such as guppies or other brightly colored fish. They can, however, live with peaceful and non-aggressive fish such as tetras or catfish.