1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career Advice at a cross road

1. Jun 4, 2013 #1
    Hello to all,

I have posted before about my interest in becoming a chemical engineer because im very interested in starting my own brand of cleaning chemicals.
    Im contemplating if i should drop out of my engineering program in order to work 80 hours a week to save money to start business, or live this broke and struggling college life for the next 4 maybe 5 years.
    I'm very confused as of right now as to what route will be the most beneficial. I don't want to put education off then the business tanks leaving me stuck with nothing. On the flip side the business could become successful and college may have never mattered. Im a little worried, as in the past, my unseen competitor will start using business practice i plan on and it will be to late for me to start 4-5 years from now.
    I want to be great at what i do but don't want the feeling when im on the other side that i missed any steps.

Should i leave college or stay? What are some of your opinions or advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2013 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Do you have hands-on experience with solvents, surfactants, soaps, etc? The market for cleaning chemicals is quite competitive and manufacturing costs can be very high. If you go into this alone, you will be competing with experienced engineers with what will seem to you to be an insurmountable advantage in resources and funding.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

4. Jun 4, 2013 #3
    You'll most likely need to have a pretty good feeling for the market and industry before you can find your niche. Getting the degree will mostly likely be a very good idea.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook