Career Advice for introverted?

In summary, Emily is considering pursuing engineering, but is trying to think of other things she might be a good fit for. She's also trying to figure out where she wants to be in 5 years, 10 years, and 20 years. She's researching different jobs and what it takes to get them, and also looking into what kinds of degrees are necessary. She's noting that even if she gets a degree with one focus, she can still move over to another area.
Emily R.
Hi, I'm looking to see if anyone can think of a career that would be a good fit for me. I'm very good at math and potentially interested in science, I really enjoy helping/caring for people, but I'm also kind of introverted. I also like writing and think I'm fairly good at it. I'm assuming there's something out there I would do well at, but I'm wondering if anyone here has an idea. Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated, thank you!

Edit: I feel like I should add a couple things to this. Despite my being an introvert, I do enjoy working with individuals and small groups of people. I've also always enjoyed school, probably because I love learning, if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What country are you in? Edit - sorry, I see you're in the US!

One of my passions has become medical data - data science, informatics and actuarial work related to medical data in the US. It requires a good mathematical background and many jobs sound like they fit the traits you've mentioned.

Likes Emily R.
Hi Emily. I know in your earlier threads that you were thinking of pursuing engineering in college. Have you changed your mind about this, or is that still something you're interested in? Because various fields of engineering will involve math and science and otherwise fits your interests, based on what you wrote above.

Locrian indicated medical data (data science, informatics, actuarial work) which I also agree sounds like it would fit your interest. I'm a statistician working in the pharmaceutical/biotech field in the area of clinical trials research, and the work I'm involved with will ultimately involve developing new therapies or treatments, so perhaps math/statistics could be something that would be of interest to you too.

Since you're still in high school, you still have plenty of time once you enroll in college/university to decide for yourself what would appeal to you, so there is no need to make any immediate decisions about what to do. Best of luck!

Likes Emily R.
StatGuy2000 said:
Hi Emily. I know in your earlier threads that you were thinking of pursuing engineering in college. Have you changed your mind about this, or is that still something you're interested in? Because various fields of engineering will involve math and science and otherwise fits your interests, based on what you wrote above.

Locrian indicated medical data (data science, informatics, actuarial work) which I also agree sounds like it would fit your interest. I'm a statistician working in the pharmaceutical/biotech field in the area of clinical trials research, and the work I'm involved with will ultimately involve developing new therapies or treatments, so perhaps math/statistics could be something that would be of interest to you too.

Since you're still in high school, you still have plenty of time once you enroll in college/university to decide for yourself what would appeal to you, so there is no need to make any immediate decisions about what to do. Best of luck!

Hi, yes I am still considering engineering! I do think I would make a pretty good engineer, but I'm trying to see what other things I might be a good fit for and that would interest me. But I have a lot of time to think, so I'm not too worried.

Think about where you want to be in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years. Imagine yourself doing something for that long. Does it seem like fun or like a punishment?

Try to get information on the kinds of jobs that exist that seem interesting to you. Google up some companies or schools that do these sorts of things. Find out what it takes to get those jobs. Do you need a BSc or an advanced degree? Do you need research or just the degree? Do you need other training? For example, in many places you need a teaching certificate to be a school teacher. You usually don't need to get Professional Engineer rating to be on an engineering team, but in many places you need somebody with that rating on a design team. And that somebody has to take a lot of responsibility.

The good thing about taking an engineering or science degree is that you will be studying quite a few very flexible knowledge areas. For example, if you learn to solve differential equations then you can solve differential equations in many possible applications. If you happen to learn it to apply to bridge building (just as one example) you can fairly directly move over and do it for chemical processes. Or computer design. Or understanding heart function. Or a bunch of things.

What I am saying is, even if you get a degree with one emphasis, it is still possible to move over to a different area. One of my previous bosses worked in the nuclear industry. But his engineering degree was in petrochemical and he worked for five years in that industry before moving over.

Likes Emily R.
Emily R. said:
Hi, I'm looking to see if anyone can think of a career that would be a good fit for me. I'm very good at math and potentially interested in science, I really enjoy helping/caring for people, but I'm also kind of introverted. I also like writing and think I'm fairly good at it. I'm assuming there's something out there I would do well at, but I'm wondering if anyone here has an idea. Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated, thank you!

Edit: I feel like I should add a couple things to this. Despite my being an introvert, I do enjoy working with individuals and small groups of people. I've also always enjoyed school, probably because I love learning, if that makes any difference.

I'm a lot like you've described yourself. My academic background if physics, but I write software for a living. It's a pretty good fit. Once you get some experience, it can be satisfying mentoring other people or helping them advance in their careers in other ways. You'll usually be working in small groups, I've also worked at small companies with less than 10 people, so you can get to know everybody. There is also a lot to learn, every time I change jobs there are always many new things to learn, it seems every company has its own way of doing things, so being able to learn quickly is key. Being kind of introverted, or having a natural sense of modesty, can hold you back from moving up the management path if you're interested in that. But you can make decent money just by being able to learn quickly, at least as of now.

I've had some jobs in biotech, but other than that not much use for science. I've done some other things where good ability with math was very helpful.

Likes Emily R.

1. How can introverted individuals excel in a career that is typically extroverted?

Introverted individuals can excel in any career by leveraging their strengths, such as their ability to think deeply and work independently. They can also develop communication and networking skills through practice and by finding environments that allow for more introverted tendencies.

2. Is it necessary for introverted individuals to force themselves to become more extroverted in order to succeed in their career?

No, it is not necessary for introverted individuals to change their personality in order to succeed in their career. Instead, they can focus on finding environments and roles that align with their strengths and allow for their introverted tendencies.

3. What are some career options that may be better suited for introverted individuals?

Career options that may be better suited for introverted individuals include roles that involve research, analysis, writing, and creative work. Examples include scientists, writers, artists, and programmers.

4. How can introverted individuals network and build relationships in their career?

Introverted individuals can network and build relationships by attending smaller, more intimate events, finding online communities related to their field, and reaching out to individuals one-on-one. They can also focus on building meaningful connections rather than trying to network with a large number of people.

5. What are some strategies for introverted individuals to recharge and avoid burnout in their career?

Some strategies for introverted individuals to recharge and avoid burnout in their career include setting boundaries, taking breaks throughout the day, and finding quiet and alone time to recharge. They can also communicate their needs to their colleagues and employers to create a work environment that supports their introverted tendencies.