1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career advice please.

1. Nov 25, 2013 #1
    Ok so as of now i'm in third year undergrad and on target to get a First Class Honours in Theoretical Physics (Bsc) with a grade average of ~82%. My 2nd semester final year project will have an emphasis on programming (as to what language i'm not entirely sure yet), I have thus far been exposed to 2 courses worth of Java programming as well as one on basic physics simulations in VB. The point is that I should have a reasonable amount of exposure to programming by the time I graduate.

I'm currently waiting to hear back from UCL, Cambridge and Imperial as to whether I have been accepted onto their Msc courses in Astrophysics, Physics (with emphasis on theoretical modules), Theoretical Physics respectively. I hope to further enhance my knowledge of some programming language in whichever course in the Msc project.

I have been tempted by quantitative analysis and have started reading about Capital Markets for Quantitative professionals by Alex Kuznetsoz. So far i'm very interested in what i'm reading, however, I know the competition to get a quant position is ridiculous (not sure how the UK compares to the US) and that the rigorous interview process can really be quite intense so I'm not banking on landing a job as a quant, i'm also not prepared to spend 3-4 years doing a PhD in Physics just to give me a better "chance". What are my alternate career choices outside of Physics which have fairly good prospects?

I'm very interested in programming, I want to learn more about capital markets and I have not dismissed sectors such as insurance for instance, I just wouldn't know what sort of jobs would be a good fit for a Physics grad with my background, any advice will be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2013 #2
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook