Career Advice for Physics Grad with Programming Skills

In summary, the speaker is a third year undergraduate student studying Theoretical Physics with a grade average of ~82%. They have been exposed to Java and VB programming and will have an emphasis on programming in their final year project. They are waiting to hear back from three universities for acceptance into Msc courses in Astrophysics, Physics, and Theoretical Physics. They are also interested in quantitative analysis and have started reading about capital markets, but are aware of the intense competition for quant positions. They are also considering alternate career options outside of Physics and are seeking advice. The speaker has found a thread discussing jobs in the field that do not require a PhD and is interested in exploring these options.
Lengalicious
Ok so as of now I'm in third year undergrad and on target to get a First Class Honours in Theoretical Physics (Bsc) with a grade average of ~82%. My 2nd semester final year project will have an emphasis on programming (as to what language I'm not entirely sure yet), I have thus far been exposed to 2 courses worth of Java programming as well as one on basic physics simulations in VB. The point is that I should have a reasonable amount of exposure to programming by the time I graduate.

I'm currently waiting to hear back from UCL, Cambridge and Imperial as to whether I have been accepted onto their Msc courses in Astrophysics, Physics (with emphasis on theoretical modules), Theoretical Physics respectively. I hope to further enhance my knowledge of some programming language in whichever course in the Msc project.

I have been tempted by quantitative analysis and have started reading about Capital Markets for Quantitative professionals by Alex Kuznetsoz. So far I'm very interested in what I'm reading, however, I know the competition to get a quant position is ridiculous (not sure how the UK compares to the US) and that the rigorous interview process can really be quite intense so I'm not banking on landing a job as a quant, I'm also not prepared to spend 3-4 years doing a PhD in Physics just to give me a better "chance". What are my alternate career choices outside of Physics which have fairly good prospects?

I'm very interested in programming, I want to learn more about capital markets and I have not dismissed sectors such as insurance for instance, I just wouldn't know what sort of jobs would be a good fit for a Physics grad with my background, any advice will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:

1. What career options are available for a physics graduate with programming skills?

As a physics graduate with programming skills, you have a wide range of career options available to you. You can work in research and development, data analysis, software engineering, or even finance and consulting. With your combination of analytical and technical skills, you can also pursue a career in fields such as data science, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.

2. How can I leverage my programming skills in the physics field?

In the physics field, your programming skills can be leveraged in various ways. You can use your programming skills to analyze and visualize data, simulate physical systems, and develop software for experimental equipment. Your programming skills can also be valuable in automating tasks and improving efficiency in research and data analysis.

3. Should I pursue a graduate degree in physics or computer science?

This ultimately depends on your career goals. If you want to pursue a career in research, a graduate degree in physics would be beneficial. If you are more interested in applying your programming skills in industry, a graduate degree in computer science or a related field may be a better option. You can also consider a dual degree program or taking courses in both fields to enhance your skills.

4. How can I improve my programming skills as a physics graduate?

There are various ways to improve your programming skills as a physics graduate. You can take online courses or attend workshops to learn new programming languages or techniques. You can also participate in coding challenges and projects to practice your skills and build your portfolio. Additionally, collaborating with other programmers and seeking mentorship can also help you improve your skills.

5. What soft skills should I develop to succeed in a career as a physics graduate with programming skills?

In addition to technical skills, soft skills are also crucial for success in any career. As a physics graduate with programming skills, some important soft skills to develop include problem-solving, communication, teamwork, and adaptability. These skills will not only help you excel in your current role but also make you a well-rounded professional in your field.